I Forge Iron

What level projects should I work on?

ForgingH

Good evening everyone, I'm a newbie whose been searching all over for the answer to a question that someone with years of experience might know. Should I begin by forging simple projects that increase in difficulty, or try to tackle harder projects until I get them right? I'm not asking you to look it up. I'm just hoping that some master is willing to pass on information that not everyone knows. Thanks in advance, Hux.

Start simple. Make one, then make another one, only better. Learn the techniques needed for that project.

You want to have projects that you can succeed in making. They may not turn out exactly right, but the second, third, forth, units should each be better than the previous one. Then move on to another simple project and repeat. As you see other projects, you will find them just a series of simple steps joined together into what looks to be a more complicated project. 

Nothing wrong with stretching your limits. Just be certain to tell yourself that you are trying, and it does not have to be perfect. It is only a way to find out how to do it better the next time. Learn from each project and add that knowledge to your bag of tricks. 

For the first time blacksmith, get a piece of metal hot and bend it. As long as the metal is bent, you succeeded !!

Get a piece of metal hot, clamp one end, and twist it. As long as the metal is twisted, you succeeded !!

Get a piece of metal hot and flatten it out a bit. As long as the metal is thinner then when you started, you succeeded !!

Bent metal can be S hooks to an arched stair railing. Twisted metal is decorative. Flatten metal can be chisels, drifts, punches, etc. or decorative items. A fish tail scroll is nothing more than a flatten out piece of metal with a bend in it. Now add form hammer marks to the fish tail part of the scroll, and make them a decorative element of the arched stair railing.  

Look at any project someone has made and reverse engineer the thing into simple steps to make simple parts of the whole. The big project becomes much less intimidating. Go to the forge and make just that one small and simple part or element. Figure out how it was done. Accept the challenge of learning. Make each project a learning experience. Are they all going to turn out, probably not, but you still learned what to do and what not to do, so it was still a success. No one tells you about the 24 ways not to do something, they only show you the 1 in 25 that is the best of the bunch. The other 24 pieces was learning how to get to number 25. (grin).

Good Morning H,

Welcome to this world. Next time you are near Walm--t, stop in and purchase a small container of Play-Doh. Yes, it is in the Children's section. ($1.00)

Play-Doh works identical to 'Hot Metal', except you can hold it in your Hands. No burns, no tongs, just fingers and hammers. When you are trying to figure out how to make something, make it in your hands, First. You will be able to follow how something will look, as you are Forging.

One of the few 'Rules' is, when Forging something (regardless of shape), S.O.R. Square, Octagonal, Round. You can turn your wrist a quarter turn, that makes 2 flats and then 4 flats, Square.

What Glenn is saying, don't have an agenda, to start. Start at square 1 and learn by doing and paying attention to what is happening!!

Enjoy,

Neil

Also get in the habit of planning out what you will be doing.  If it's making hooks, lay out the metal stock you want to use and either mark the stock material by measuring each length or cut the stock material to length.  Pick your tongs out, sizing the them to the stock ahead of time, and select the hammers you will be using.  Take a moment to set your vise or post vise to the diameter of the stock material as well.  If you start with all this prep work it just makes things go easier because you don't have to think which tool you need, etc.  Once you pull the hot metal out of the forge you are losing heat  so every second you waste trying to select tools or crank down a vise to the right size is wasted time you can't forge the metal.

Getting that piece of advice out of the way, start with hooks.  Look around your house and shop looking for things that need hooks and make them.  I can't tell you the satisfaction I have when I walk through my house and see the things being used that I forged.  Yes, hooks can be boring but they teach you valuable skills you will use elsewhere.  I just made my first knife a few weeks ago.  I thought it went pretty well and I'm betting it was because of all the other things I've made taught me valuable basic skills.  Don't jump too quick into knives and the stuff people think is "cool".  You could stunt your growth as a blacksmith.  Enjoy the journey as you make your way along the road.  I sure don't regret it.