I Forge Iron

Damascus

Hello,

I had a quick question about making a Damascus steel billet. I would like to attempt to make a billet of Damascus but I don't own or have access to a mig or tig welder. Ive seen some people do it using a wire and holding it together that way. I was wanted to ask what gauge wire any of y'all that I should use. Also I was thinking about trying to braze the stack but I assume It would just burn off. If not, do you think it would work better than the wire. pls Let me know 

Since I often do bandsaw blade and pallet strapping billets I don't usually have any problems with the wire burning off before the billet is ready to weld.  Thick layers can have that problem.  Remember too you can drill  hole at each end of the billet and rivet them together using a 16 penny nail.  (Riveting pieces that were tricky to weld to hold them in position is mentioned in old smithing books; pre arc welding.)

I was told a long time ago, that if you have the option, go with wire that is lower is carbon content than the steel being forged, it will theoretically burn up slower. The other wire option is stainless wire though I doubt it's worth the added cost.

Also remember that you may end up welding the wire to the billet.

Depending on the billet build up method makes it depend on which method works the easiest.. 

a stack and wrap method works very well if you have no tongs or wire..   you take a long piece of flat stock and bend it back onto the stack to hold it..   Basically a long flat U with the desired metal in the middle of the U..  Start the forge weld at the U bottom of the U..    This method can be used for just about any material or layup.. 

Stainless wire works well enough but any wire except stainless will end up being included in the billet as its welded up unless one is careful enough to move the wire up as it's welded.. 

Coat hanger is handy in a pinch and will weld right into the billet with little fan fare.. 

As Thomas pointed out tie wire for rebar is handy and cheap..  

9 hours ago, jeremy k said:

If you wire a billet correctly, no wire will be introduced into the billet during the forge weld, as there is never any welding done where the wire is.

The wire is trimmed back as you proceed with the welding. It's not rocket science.

for sure..  or you can add it if you wanted to.. :)    Pattern contrast is what one looks for..   Adding into cable with is made up of same or like materials can add just that little extra by adding in wire..