I Forge Iron

Need help with anvil identification

Hey everyone, I've been looking into getting into blacksmithing actually most likely bladesmithing here for a little while now and finally made the leap and bought an anvil today. I had been searching for awhile and people are asking crazy money for beat up anvils. I ended up lucking out and found an anvil in what I think is in good condition for the price but was wondering If anyone could help identify the maker. I just got it home today so i haven't unbolted it from the stand that they had it mounted to but heres some photos. The anvil feels like it weighs at least 200lbs but will actually weigh It tomorrow after i remove it from the stand. Any help is appreciated. Thanks - Donnie.

s-l400.jpg

s-l400-3.jpg

s-l400-2.jpg

s-l400-1.jpg

Super clean anvil.  If I had to guess I'd say it is likely a Peter Wright, or copy of same, with the bolt holes for mounting drilled by the owner.  A wire brush on the sides of the anvil to remove the paint may tell you more.  Honestly though, I'm not sure why everyone is so determined to know the manufacturer of an anvil that they expect to use, not collect.  It will either work for you or not, and great blades have been made on much lower quality equipment.

Thanks for the welcome, not that I necessarily need to know the anvil maker was just curious if anyone had a thought on what it might be. Looking at other anvils I kind of thought it could be either a Peter Wright or mousehole but either way it's a great anvil. Good rebound and a nice clean surface to start pounding some steel on. Just happy months of looking for a clean affordable anvil paid off!

• 4 weeks later...

Anvil stand is great! Very stable as long as it's on solid flat ground. I haven't done any sledge work on it but swinging my 4lb cross peen for hours and not even a wiggle. it actually came with the anvil I did have to shorten it up about 10 inches because the person I purchased it from mounted it for display. Also pleased to have done some wire brushing and found out that my anvil is a Peter wright.

20190105_011033.jpg

Nice little PW. Well done. They are good workhorses. 

Yes, most people ask for brand, provenience and what surprises me more, about its value ... after paying for it. :rolleyes: ... but that is OK. Human nature and the curiosity that perhaps, just perhaps it is much more valuable because it is an antique and a museum will pay for it ten fold ... only kidding.

It's a great anvil and will serve you well. Now go and look for a 250 lb one to even that one out :P