I Forge Iron

Frosty's T Burner-connecting to propane tank

Tuck58

So I've built my burner (FINALLY got the blankety-blank hole dead center)...now I need to connect to my propane tank.

I'll be the first to admit...fittings (measurements, thread types, etc) is not my strong suit. It still amazes me the 1/8" end of the 1/4" flare fitting is referred to as 1/8 even though NOTHING ABOUT IT measures 1/8" (thought it might be the opening, but IT measures 7/32" according to my calipers).

Anyway, moving along...

I took the burner and regulator/hose into the hdwe, explained to him, in detail, what it was and told him I need to get from "here" (the fitting in the tee) to "here" (the regulator hose) and wanted to INCLUDE a shutoff valve and a pressure gauge in between. He looked at me as if I had somehow offended his sensibilities or something, fiddled around in the bins for a couple of minutes, handed me what you see in the pic and walked away.

This is what he gave me...a 1/4 swivel, a 1/4 x 3/8 union (I think), and an adapter of some sort with a 3/8 flare...

FTB-gas-connect.jpg.3c35786112c9ef485cce8ee1cf677150.jpg

What you see in the pic, once assembled. seems to be a lot of weight concentrated right there at the tee and as my intended use for this burner is with a small-ish melting furnace, it'll be coming low into the side of the furnace instead of the top (as with a lot of the forge pics I've seen). So, having said ALL that, could someone please give me some suggestions as to what I need to go from the tee fitting to the reg hose to include a shutoff valve and a pressure gauge?

I'm really not as stupid as that might have made me sound...but I seem to have a "blind spot", so to speak, when it comes to fittings.

Thanks for your help.

Heh, heh, heh. How many times do I have to tell folks to NOT tell the guy at the plumbing shop what you're doing? :rolleyes:

The 1/4" flare fitting is to make up to copper tubing, NOT directly to the hose. <sigh> Lose all the fittings in the middle. Get some 1/4" copper fridge tubing a 50' roll should run in the $15.00 - $30.00 range depending on where you find it. Don't worry it's really common stuff, I picked up most of a full roll in a $5.00 bundle at a yard sale, the 4 hammers is what I wanted but had to take the rest or go home. <sigh>

You'll need a flare tool. The fitting on the hose should be 3/8" pipe so you'll need a "1/4 turn, propane rated ball valve with 3/8"  mpt I could be wrong and they only come in female pipe thread but that's no biggy there are adapters to make up to the next in line.

So, the hose will connect to the ball valve, the ball valve connects to a 3/8" pipe thread to 1/4" flare. 

All you have to do then is cut a piece of 1/4" copper tubing with a pipe cutter, ream out the burrs, slip the lock nut for the flare fittings on the tubing threads facing OUTWARDS and flare the tubing. Now you slip the lock nut down to the flared end and screw it on the fitting in the T and the ball valve. Test with soapy water and it's ready to rock and roll.

You put the shut off valve away from the forge so if something goes wrong you can shut the gas off fast without reaching through flames.

Make sense?

If you want to connect the T directly to the hose you need a 3/8" male pipe (connects to the hose) and a male pipe with a small enough ID you can tap it for the mig tip. That's one bras fitting 3/8" mpt x I don't recall the size " mpt. and you can connect the hose directly to the T. I just don't like putting rubber hose that close to so HOT a fire but that's just my preference.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks for this detail Frosty, when I put my gas forge together, 5? 6 years ago, a helpful hardware store employee swaged a water specific quick connect on the end of my propane hose. It has worked like a charm for all this while but the propane hose is getting a bit stiff in its old age and I doubt I can convince anyone to fab up a replacement.

Great old hardware store, since closed. The going out of business sale was epic! Drawers of soft iron rivets from the 1930's followed me home, along with Yankee screwdriver bits by the bag and more soapstone holders than I've been able to give away to fellow smiths.

I'll start looking for copper flare tools and tubing at garage sales.

So...

From the 1/4 burner flare > 1/4 flare nut > 1/4 copper tubing (both ends flared) > 1/4 flare nut > 1/4 mpt x 3/8 fpt adapter > 3/8 nipple > 3/8 fpt x 3/8 mpt ball valve > 3/8 fpt flare > regulator hose.

I decided to forgo the pressure gauge for now as I couldn't find a tee fitting with a female connection in the middle (I know it's out there, but the PG can wait...that and I'm sick of looking for fittings for now).

Yes?

You've got it close enough to adjust for my mistakes. The fittings for the hose need to be ones that work and I'm not sure if 3/8" pipe is right. It's safe to ask the guys at the counter that kind of question. "What fitting do I need to connect a propane hose to?" I THINK 3/8" pipe is correct but I'm not sure anymore

Just buy a gauge with a male fitting or buy a male to male fitting. Wait did you mean to say you couldn't find an all female 3/8" T? I've never seen any other kind that wasn't special order. Would that be . . . what, a "street" T? 

That's a new one on me Brother but use what you can get.

Micheal: You can get barb fittings at the propane supply or HVAC supply but use propane rated ones. I don't know what the difference is but the supply at the end of my street has bins of different kinds that look the same to me. No price difference so it can't be a price gouge thing. HVAC supplies are THE place to get this stuff. ;)

Frosty The Lucky.

13 hours ago, Frosty said:

Just buy a gauge with a male fitting or buy a male to male fitting. Wait did you mean to say you couldn't find an all female 3/8" T? I've never seen any other kind that wasn't special order. Would that be . . . what, a "street" T? 

I could find all female "compression" tees, but what I was looking for was male x female (top/middle of the t) x male...like I said, I'm sure it's available, but I was sick and tired of looking at fittings.

Right now, I just want to light it up and get it tuned. :P

Thanks for the help, Frosty...will update after fire-up (I hope!).

• 1 year later...