I Forge Iron

Mousehole review

paulgatx

I picked up my second Mousehole today, so I guess that makes me a Mousehole collector.  It's in much better shape than my first one.  However, after I cleaned it up (rusted and painted), I find that the rebound is only 50-60%.  It felt and sounded decent with my hammer, but I didn't have my ball bearing on me when I checked it out.  Upon inspection, it looks like maybe it has a new welded plate on it, but I don't know what this would look like exactly.  See the pictures below. At $2.50/lb ($500 total) including a big stand, I figure it's still usable and not a bad deal.  Thoughts?

IMG_20181201_133015884.thumb.jpg.f2c04dfe096f9cf8551ed94d7aa06b4b.jpgIMG_20181201_133022727.thumb.jpg.0e11fdd76a437213b614ede9ea1a0a5e.jpgIMG_20181201_133045241.thumb.jpg.c03f8e8019decfbb19dd2f02f5c5402a.jpgIMG_20181201_133041853.thumb.jpg.0bcd5cb2fa0e0881142a63a83dd389df.jpgIMG_20181201_133319471.thumb.jpg.5a23e24dd6d9e32f3f78dfd721bbb79d.jpg

It is hard to have an opinion on a tool when i don't know what you do with it. 

"Rebound" is overrated and maybe you can just use it as it is. Clearly it was repaired, it is one of those anvils you should stay clear of, but too late now. 

Don't like the stand either, it is probably very loud.

Of course you can sell it and chase another one in better shape. 

Try using it, may be it is OK for what you do. 

Photos of the end of the heel and the far side would help.

It is much better than some improvised anvils that are out there. For now just be sure the anvil is secured to the stand you have and will not fall off the stand. In time you may want to replace the stand, but that is down the road a piece.

Use it. Spend some time together and get to know each other. Become friends. (grin)

Hi Marc1 and Glenn, thanks for the quick feedback, I do hobbyist weekend black and bladesmithing.  My other Mouse Hole is smaller and has some sway in it, so the usable area is pretty small.  This one is definitely an upgrade in those terms.  I'll post some more pix after I get it situated on its new stand.  I'm most curious if you think this is a new welded top.

The stand it came with is way too tall for the anvil, by 6 in or so, unless the previous owner was 7' tall as I'm 6' and the anvil comes half way up to my elbow when mounted on it.  I have another home made wood stand that I was going to use for this, so my plan was to sell this metal one.

And I definitely plan to know it well, and it will know me.   :)

For a temporary fix for the "too tall" stand, consider digging a suitable depth hole and bury the rim and all.  That would make it more stable.  I have some things on stands mounted on large truck rims and they can get tipsy sometimes.

Arkie, my shop (garage) has a concrete floor.  But I've already got it repurposed as a tool stand.

Big bro and little bro look great next to each other.  They are almost identical twins.  Now I just need to get my 12 yo son smithing with me.

IMG_20181202_142625817_HDR.thumb.jpg.db5a0cf788157bc2dd76b29ed10cd316.jpgIMG_20181202_142833394.thumb.jpg.d61a95cc33e6d07ed522555c8ee934cc.jpg

There are two type of repairs what you showed us could indicate: the slap a plate on the face and weld all around the edges (bad) and the weld up the edges that showed a lot of wear and tear, maybe ok and maybe bad depending on how they did it.  If edge chunks start breaking off then you know they didn't preheat the anvil and treat it as a high carbon steel when welding and so made the edges worse in the long run.

I'd use it and see if it works for you.  What do you do that a bit of sway cause problems?  My anvil with the most sway to it's face tends to get the most use in my shop as I like forging blades and find the sway a bit help in straightening them.

Thomas, to be honest, my first anvil does everything I need it to.  To be even more honest, I have become addicted to searching for anvils.  I can't promise that this will be my last.

I do promise to get better at getting good deals ($3.50/lb for my first, $2.50/lb for my second, $1.50/lb for my third?)

And I have determined that 200lbs is my upper limit for how reconfiguable my garage shop needs to be.

• 2 weeks later...

Mine is much smaller than yours , but the edges on the top of the anvil are very much like mine. I doubt if yours has been refitted. Mine does not have the P-hole.....TB  Note on the Stand ; If you reload your own ammo ( and a lot of folks do). Looks to me lika a good place to mount a press.

• 1 month later...

I was chasing 2 different Mouseholes, both over #150, and both beautiful condition...  the hard part is Mouseholes are literally a collectors item, so when they show up as a working anvil, they almost go stratospheric.  They ended up beyond what I could spend comfortably...  but xxxx, they were pretty anvils.  

I don't know that Mouseholes are any more collectible than any other older brand; Shoot I've known folks to collect Vulcans.

Are you using TPAAAT to go after anvils not on the market? Stay away from auctions and the internet they can be some of the most expensive places to buy anvils!