I Forge Iron

Torbjörn using a respirator

ede

Apparently. I’ve worn a respirator when forging with exceptionally dirty coal in a forge with bad ventilation (which inspired me to build my Super Sucker). It was reasonably comfortable, and I was sneezing a lot less black crud the next day. 

I want to build something to screen the dust from my coal and coke, think of a large perforated rotisserie barrel.  I’m currently using a 5 gallon bucket with 1/2” holes in the bottom to screen the dust.  However, I was told rather recently that the dust in coal helps it to coke up.  

Can you share a link to your “Super Sucker” JHCC?  

Use a frame with some hardwear cloth, expanded metal, or other material to screen through. The size of the holes depends on the size of the material you want to capture or let go through. A frame is a continuous process where buckets are a batch process. Much faster and more controllable.

When you finish, put the coal dust and fines into a bucket and fill the bucket with water. Scoop out a handfull of the wet coal dust, squeeze out any water, and put the damp coal dust on the top of fire to burn. The heat of the fire will evaporate the water and start the dust to coking.