I Forge Iron

Greeting from middle TN

Matt Watson

Just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Matt and I took a couple classes a few years ago and fell in love with blacksmithing but life kept me from it for a while. I have started setting my shop up and building my first gas forge. I prefer coal but I thought gas would be cheaper to start with. I have almost none of the right tools but I plan on making everything I need. Starting with a decent hammer. I have a 2.5 store bought cheap one to start with but I need to know what tools I need to make my first real one if anyone can point me in the right direction I have browsed through some of the forums but couldn't find what I was looking for. Also if there is anyone in here near me that would like to meet up and maybe show me a few things I would like to find some new friends that I can forge with every now and then. 

Welcome to IFI... Not knowing where you are located, it will be hard to meet up with anyone.:D Just one reason to edit your profile to show location.

I always suggest reading this thread for starters, it will help you get the best out of the forum.https://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/53873-read-this-first/

If you are looking to make your first hammer, I suggest reading this, starting with the pinned threads. https://www.iforgeiron.com/forum/199-hand-hammers/

The better you are at basic smithing the faster and easier and better results you have when making tools.  I have bought most of my tools at fleamarkets and garage sales trying to get older ones as many of the new "chinese" ones were not to the configuration I like and often of dubious quality.

Making punches and drifts out of car axle and then coil spring is a fairly early learning project.  Punching deep holes for hammer heads needs more skills! (and help!) I will note that you don't need a fancy hammer to do good work. I have a straight peen older than I am that was punched out of a truck axle or drive shaft---no fancy fullering, just a working hammer for probably the last 75 years.

Thank you that's good information. I will make another trip to my scrap yard and see if I can get some axles and springs. I need to make some hardy tools so I may just start there and make some punches. as far as basic smithing are you referring to being able to draw the metal out make round stock square and square stock round, twists and curls? If so I can do that Im not proficient with it yet but I have done a few different style hooks some leafs and spade hooks, a boot scraper, and a hot dog roasting fork was my latest project. That one didn't turn out as nice as the other ones I definitely need some more practice there. I didn't have my split centered that well and while working on the split pieces I got them too hot a few times and about lost them. I plan on working on that again at my local club next weekend. My biggest problem right now is I cant practice at home (still working on building my forge and shop). once I get that done what would you suggest I practice with? Or should I just heat and beat and let the metal tell me what it wants to be lol

sweet idea I did talk to a friend who owns a lawn mower shop he is going to give me what he can unfortunately I was two days late in calling him he just got rid of 10,000 lbs of steel oh well maybe I will get the next bin that big

On 12/1/2018 at 7:17 AM, Matt Watson said:

Thank you that's good information. I will make another trip to my scrap yard and see if I can get some axles and springs.

I just heard from a local scrap-er that my local steel yard will not let no one scrounge around anymore.  I guess someone slipped on a pile of steel and nearly cut there arm or leg off...    That really sucks for me just starting out... re-purposing is my main goal for the silo house.. 

Just started a month ago myself.  Lots of good reading on here.  Make sure to read up on the safety aspects of different forge designs when you decide what to build. I went with firebrick that's easily interchangeable if it cracks and a t-burner.  Simple and very effective thus far.  I did several years worth of research before I finally decided to take the plunge and am very happy with my setup so far.  Only had one concerning moment when I thought the grate might be galvanized but called the manufacturer and I'm ok.  

The truck axle hammer is easy enough it is just time consuming for the first one.  Especially if you drift the eye yourself with a small hand hammer.  

Slightly off topic but I saw you are interested in fishing.  I fish north of you at old hickory quite a bit in the summer for stripers.  I am located in Barren county ky.  

IMG_20181106_143618.jpg

Hello and thanks for the reply. I have fished old hickory in the past my father grew up around that area and fished it alot. I live on Tim's ford lake which has some decent stripers in it. I just finished my brick forge yesterday I tweaked a few designs to fit what I wanted it's easily adaptable to changing similar to what you have. I just have to build my burner now

On 12/3/2018 at 2:33 PM, Silo house Dan! said:

I just heard from a local scrap-er that my local steel yard will not let no one scrounge around anymore.  I guess someone slipped on a pile of steel and nearly cut there arm or leg off...    That really sucks for me just starting out... re-purposing is my main goal for the silo house.. 

I guess I'm lucky then but the only have one area to go into but its sorted out to different things so it makes it a little easier .

Photos were already posted in the other thread in the gas forge section, so they have been removed from this location.

• 1 month later...
On 11/29/2018 at 9:17 PM, Matt Watson said:

Just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Matt and I took a couple classes a few years ago and fell in love with blacksmithing but life kept me from it for a while. I have started setting my shop up and building my first gas forge. I prefer coal but I thought gas would be cheaper to start with. I have almost none of the right tools but I plan on making everything I need. Starting with a decent hammer. I have a 2.5 store bought cheap one to start with but I need to know what tools I need to make my first real one if anyone can point me in the right direction I have browsed through some of the forums but couldn't find what I was looking for. Also if there is anyone in here near me that would like to meet up and maybe show me a few things I would like to find some new friends that I can forge with every now and then. 

hi Matt  Where did you take your class at, Im scheduled for Feb. 6&7 at Kens custom Iron. The Gopher State" Minnesota. Its a was to go from Michigan but took an extra day to spend with family there.       

On ‎1‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 10:59 AM, Silo house Dan! said:

hi Matt  Where did you take your class at, Im scheduled for Feb. 6&7 at Kens custom Iron. The Gopher State" Minnesota. Its a was to go from Michigan but took an extra day to spend with family there.       

Dan I took my classes at Lynchburg forge. There really isn't a name for it but the gentleman that runs the shop and teaches the  classes is Bruce Gillies. Quite an amazing guy with a lot of experience. He doesn't charge anything to come there you can give a donation to help with the purchase of coal which he just recently started but you don't have to give anything. The man loves the craft and just genuinely like to teach it seems like. I was lucky to have stumbled across it and it's actually not far from my house. I'm sure you will have a great time at Ken's. I haven't been but I recently purchased his rapid tong bundle to save time and money as far as making more of my own (I spent 6 hours making my first pair). His customer service is exceptional and really has a great product at a really fair price. If you have bought any I would highly recommend them. You basically get to do all the finish work on them that requires the same steps in making them from scratch but saving yourself hours of the work and cost of fuel at the same time.