I Forge Iron

forge insulation questions

Hello,I'm planning on redoing the insulation in my forge (a 20 pound propane tank with a single venturi burner)I'm planning on using ceramic fiber which I understand can be tricky to work with.

My questions 

*Will sealing the blanket with refractory cement (meeco 610) keep fibers from being blown around and offer enough support to keep the lining from collapsing

*Is a 2 inch thick sheet over kill for a relatively small forge 

*Do I need some sort of ridgidizer for the blanket

* What kind of resporator do I need to work with the blanket.

Welcome to the forum!  If you haven't already done so, take a few minutes to read this topic:

https://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/53873-read-this-first/

Anything that says "cement" or "mortar" is made to stick things together rather than to be subjected to constant flame impingement. It may work for a relatively short time, but it is not a suitable substitute for something like Satanite or Kastolite.

Two inches of fiber blanket is recommended, but most of us use 2 layers of one inch thick 8 lb. density blanket rated for at least 2300 degrees F.

Yes, you should rigidize the blanket.  You can make the rigidizer yourself from fumed silica and water.

I've not worn a respirator while installing the blanket although it would probably be a good idea.  Anything that filters out small particulates should be sufficient.  The real danger is in extended exposure when the forge is in use.  Microscopic pieces of the fiber can become airborne and settle in your lungs which will eventually cause significant breathing problems.  Rigidizing the blanket significantly decreases the chances of that happening, and sealing the rigidized blanket with a hot face layer like Satanite or Kastolite is better yet.

It would be worth your time to read through Forges 101 to glean a lot of specifics about forge design and construction.  It is a quite lengthy thread, but it has the answers to most gas forge questions contained in the many pages.

https://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/47439-forges-101/

Wayne is a member of IFI; he sells small amounts of Plistex and another seal coating at reasonable prices; each of them makes a fine finish coating for ceramic fiber insulation.

The right kind of paper mask is all you need; it should have an aluminum strip of the nose area, to allow it to seal properly; it should have two elastic bands. I shingle band won't allow the mask to seal against your face. You should be able to find the right mask in large hardware stores.