I Forge Iron

Forge build with photos (Will be NARB) still In progress.

Agaeris

I've built a small forge 2 years ago that I've been using that was about the size of mailbox. It's been limiting me though on what i can work on as it was only 2.5" x 2.5" x 7". I wanted something a little bigger and wanted to try the NARB burner. I already have a NARB built, but i failed to take photos of building it. While building the forge though i got some photos, and though id share!

Id welcome any suggestions, criticisms, or concerns! The final inner forge dimensions will be 11"deep x 7" wide x 3.25" high, which comes out to 250 ci. This dose not count for the slight curve in the corners, so it's actually a little less than that. 

I didn't get a before photo, but this is part of a industrial in-duct blower fan that I've cut up and re-welded together. the 55gal drum lid will be the base/floor of the forge. I plan to either use soft firebrick or a cast able for the floor (I have a huge bag of kast-o-lite 30, so i'll probably just use that).

IMG_2387.jpg.e028050adaecb99e6185eb0a860757d8.jpg

This is after cleaning/sanding and painting with high temp paint. (white wouldn't be my first choice, but i got a case of this paint for free)

IMG_2392.jpg.0567b16e2a30b200709f7688c9daeb63.jpg

Two 1" layers installed, and have been/will be ridgidized before casting the outer layer. I have some mounting hardware attached to hold the burner in place as well, but i don't have any photos showing it.

IMG_2393.jpg.6236ccc68621954d9fdd6deda56afe66.jpg

Forms built and clamped onto the body of the forge. the front and back is about 3/4" thick, the sides and ceiling are about 5/8" thick.

IMG_2395.jpg.0f6e3335533b8cfdb87117ef783430aa.jpg

The front/back extends down only far enough to cover the insulation, it doesn't cover the whole front of the forge. And I found painters tape works pretty well for forms. if the tape doesn't pull away form the cast able, it pulls free of the form easily enough.

IMG_2396.jpg.51fe5cbe8f439462f7aeda3b87a34538.jpg

Photo with cast able in place.

IMG_2400.jpg.d8ff6feb4c4eb622bef3b2feb99f6bc9.jpg

This is as far as i got last night, but will post more pictures up once i get more done!

• 1 year later...