I Forge Iron

Swage steel???

Peppie

Since most structural steel is fairly low carbon and so not able to be heat treated for hardness and wear life; then no.  (Most structural steel is made so it can be arc welded and so they don't want any issues with HAZ cracking.)   Super quench might help a bit; but at those sizes...

Now most swageblocks were simple cast iron; so even mild steel swages should be a step up. It really depends on how you plan to use it---300 times a day calls for a higher alloy steel than once a month.

It will used on a very limited basis. Maybe a couple hours a month at best. This is a hobby for me. Cant justify big bucks for old cast one.

It will only have 1/2 rounds on one edge. And a few different angles on the other edge. I have striking plate for the round and square holes that would be in the face side of a swage.

Thanks for the reply

• 1 month later...

A swage if used properly with hot metal will last for 10 or 15 years or more made from mild steel.. Will it wear, sure surface erosion.. But by then you heat it up, and smack it down again with a flatter and your back in business..  

Quality tooling comes in all shapes, sizes, materials,  etc, etc..  structural steel  (A36)will take a little hardness over 1018 but 1018 taken from a white heat plunged into water and swirled like the dickens will be slightly harder than non quenched 1018 HR steel..  Also, carbonizing or using a product to add surface hardeness can be used if it really is a problem..  

I have swages that are faced with HC steel and I have solid steel swages, I also have wrought iron swages..   It really comes down to what time and materials do you have or want to invest..  

3" is some serous metal to move or forge..  We are talking serious 2 people power or power hammer..    

2" or 2.5" is about as large as I want to work with a hand hammer.. After that it's sledge worker or power hammer or hydraulic forging press..