I Forge Iron

Unique Hammer

Mickeysteelworks

Hello! 

Bought this hammer the other day. I've done a bunch of research, but have not been able to find a hammer that is similar. Hoping that someone can give me some more info on it! Has a stamp on the top (a vertical Venn diagram with letters, but I cannot make them out even with a pencil rubbing) and 42 stamped on the bottom (I'm assuming 42oz). Thank you everyone!

IMG_0771.JPG

Looks like a top tool to me, possibly custom.  Might be a set hammer for getting into certain radiused corners, or some kind of sheet metal autobody tool.  Very interesting in any case.  Perhaps if you rub the side with some chalk and take another photo someone will have a better idea.

I think it’s a love child of a dog head hammer and an extended custom set hammer. 

Stuff like that happens sometimes in my shop when there isn’t proper supervision.

Thats why it’s so important to constantly use your tools so they are too tired for these type of shenanigans!

TTT: Funny how much they look like cutler's hammers as used extensively in Sheffield England for several centuries.  I guess if they sell better labeled "japanese"...

You can also see weight forward hammers used in Renaissance European paintings.

Not a new thing, "A prophet has no honour in his own country"