I Forge Iron

Teenage Son Interested in Blacksmithing.

My 17 year old son is interested in starting blacksmithing, but I honestly have no idea where to start at gathering the essential tools (including the anvil) that he will need to get started.  He has been reading things online and we purchased a book for him and his cousin showed him a little when we were visiting them this summer, but other than that we’re all new to this hobby.  Any help, tips, and/or hints on how to get started would be greatly appreciated!

Also thought it might be good for him to attend any meetings you have so he can learn from you all.  Do you regularly meet in the Eagle River/Anchorage/Palmer/Wasilla area?  We’re willing to travel to any of these locations so he can meet up with fellow enthusiasts. 

Thanks!

Welcome to IFI... I always suggest reading this to get the best out of the forum. https://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/53873-read-this-first/

Several members are in Alaska and I bet Frosty will be along shortly to fill you in.

Might want to poke around here a bit. https://www.iforgeiron.com/forum/163-alaska-blacksmith-association/

The best book I can recommend is Mark Aspery’s first book, Mastering. The Fundamentals of Traditional Blacksmithing. The books are a bit on the pricey side but worth every penny. All the instructions are very clear and each step has at least one accompanying photograph.  Well worth the money. 

Welcome aboard, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many members of the Alaska Association of Blacksmiths live in your area.

I'm between Wasilla and Meadow Lakes. Our next meeting is Sunday, Jan. 27th 2019 at Arctic Fires Bronze in Palmer. 

Shoot me a PM and we can exchange contact info.

Frosty The Lucky.

Well i remember being 17, if you buy him 5 grand in tools, I would suggest you be prepared to take up a new hobby. On the other hand we have seen some young people step up and show some outstanding dedication. We have pinned threads in both the anvil and solid fuel sections on accruing and building good low cost forges and anvils. We also have articles on low cost hammers and advice on tongs. For a couple weekends invested in scrounging around and building you can have a basic kit for well less than $100. From there they will either seriously catch the bug and prove they are worthy of further investment in tools. 

Unlike YouTube and other sores on the web, IForgeIron is a pier reviewed interactive document with a family friendly culture. Glenn and the moderators do not tolerate cursing or fussing and we are big on safety. After you have a look introduce your kid to us and we will bend over backwards to help getting you two started. 

Join him in building a forge (JABOD) and work together and share the learning. You can read twice as much and compare notes. By working with him you will better understand what he is doing.

The site is a wonderful resource but takes a while to digest all the information it holds. Choose one specific question at a time and ask. That way we can provide a specific answer or point you to references. This can be a life long project so you can proceed at your own pace. Pack a lunch and a cold drink and welcome to the site. 

• 2 weeks later...

Get a copy of Hasluck's "Bent Ironwork" as a starting point.

Don't invest in a lot of tools until he has some time in the trade.  Hasluck's book is a great resource because it was designed around projects you can do with minimal tooling and very little metal.  He can get his feet wet without breaking the bank, yet turn out some very very nice things for the house if he dedicates himself to it.

Everybody wants to make a sword, but nobody wasn't to climb the ladder of experience.  Start small and you'll have very little to complain about should he decide to take up playing guitar in a month or three.

JHCC, the salmon jerky is da bomb!

Book wise, cruise on down to your local library and see what they have in the system. Even if they don't have it, they can get books in from other libraries. Alexander Weygers books show how to get started on a budget.  ABANA has tutorials on their website as well.

My Dad and I got started in the late 70's , and I would suggest trying it yourself. There are some very talented female smiths, and I think they bring a different aesthetic to the craft than guys do.

When my mentor passed away, I didn't light the forge for about ten years. Then my wife became interested in smithing and now we both are hammering fools. I hate to admit it but she is as good or better than I after just a couple of years. She is more detailed oriented than I and it drives me to distraction, just good enough is never in her wheelhouse.