I Forge Iron

flat platen material.

Jclonts82

I have had a new Northridgetool grinder for about 6 weeks now and have put it under some very heavy use. So much so that the flat platen has started to get some, albeit very small, wear groves in it. It will be not very much work to either re-flatten it, or even flip it around, and it has PLENTY of life left in it. 

But this got me thinking for down the road. I'm going to need to replace it at some point, and will probably make it myself. I have seen tempered glass backings that glue on, but the idea of glass inside of a very high speed belt scares me, especially with how clumsy I CAN be at times. For those who have made their own, what steel or other material did you use?

I have a 1/2" X 2" bar of D2 that I could drill, tap threads then harden, plus a cryo treatment. That is my first thought. Also, I have an ''in' with someone in a diamond-like-coating business that I could very likely get to coat it for me, and he says it takes surface hardness completely off the Rockwell C scale to something like 2700 vickers (hard chrome plating is usually 900-1100), and is about 90-110 microns thick. Is that overkill? Or will it too wear out and I will have just wasted my time?

What options do the general forum use?