MOguy

Confused about Rigidize

From what I understand Rigidizer what I need to help make ceramic blankets safe I am searching and find posts about how people wanting to make rigidizer and it being expensive.  I find people saying to spay it on the blanket, other say soak it.  Other have different information about how to mix it. 

I found what seems to be rigidizers used for forging and coating ceramic blankets for what seems to be relatively inexpensive.    Do I spray it on or soak it?

I spray on the rigidizer using an old cleaner spray bottle with a couple of drops of food coloring in it so I can see the coverage I have. You will notice if you ask ten smiths a question you are likely to get nineteen different answers.:)

You can make your own rigidizer with fumed silica and water.  It's much cheaper that way.   There are two types of fumed silica: Hydrophobic and Hydrophilic.  We use hydrophilic (meaning it dissolves in water in this context).  Fumed silica is also referred to as Silica Thickener or Colloidal Silica in some instances.

As to safety, it would not be my first choice. A seal coat provides better safety. What the rigidizer is BEST at is helping to under-gird the physical structure of the seal coat; it also helps prolong the life of the insulation itself. As to protecting your lungs from fiber dust it is better than nothing, but nowhere near is good as a good seal coating.

That Red Devil stuff is mortar. Meant to use between firebricks for setting them. Generally doesn't hold up to direct flame contact. You want something like Kastolite 30, or Mizzou castable refractory.

As for rigidizer, or shopping for anything online, search, search and search again. I've found prices vary widely(wildly). I've found a gallon of rigidizer for $32US and the same gallon of rigidizer at another location for $102US.

Another time I was looking for a coil for my go cart. One online source had the coil, spark plug and CDI for $11US. Another source, just the same exact coil for $125US - claimed it was high performance.

6 minutes ago, John in Oly, WA said:

That Red Devil stuff is mortar. Meant to use between firebricks for setting them. Generally doesn't hold up to direct flame contact. You want something like Kastolite 30, or Mizzou castable refractory.

As for rigidizer, or shopping for anything online, search, search and search again. I've found prices vary widely(wildly). I've found a gallon of rigidizer for $32US and the same gallon of rigidizer at another location for $102US.

Another time I was looking for a coil for my go cart. One online source had the coil, spark plug and CDI for $11US. Another source, just the same exact coil for $125US - claimed it was high performance.

Thanks for the info on Kasto and Miz. When I was searching for rigidizer to saw the same thing.  Auto parts are the same way.  

Did you hear the one about the guy who turned a silk purse into a sow's ear? Constructing a forge is like building a brick wall; it take a few simple and easily understood steps; which cannot be ignored without making a mess.

The price of rigidizer certainly does vary wildly, as it is an end product. But you can get fumed silica powder through eBay without paying for shipping and at rock bottom prices. You can also get the same product wherever fiber glass products are sold locally, if you're in a tearing hurry. Fumed silica is an ingredient in dozens of products, including milk shakes. The closer you come to basic ingredients the less you pay for forge materials. The more "marketed" a product is the more ignorance tax you'll pay.

Silica based ridigdizer is fumed silica mixed in water, with a few drops of food coloring die to make it easier to judge penetration. Dump a little silica in water. Too much and it gets too thick to run through a spray bottle's nozzle, and needs more water. Too little and it becomes ineffective, until you add more fumed silica to the water. Add food coloring to suite; it burns out during firing.

You can spritz the silica unto ceramic fiber insulation and it will greedily suck up the silica; You can paint it on; you can dunk the fiber in a rigidizer bath; any excess will run off of the ceramic fiber insulation, just like excess water.

There are few things in life that are as easy as buying and using fumed silica; do it simple and easy are complicate it all you want. In the end it will turn out fine, with or without a bunch of hand wringing.

If your looking for Kastolite lookup Wayne Coe here on IFI, he sells small quantities for a decent price at his website