Glenn

Show me things that move

Show me things that move, mobiles, sculpture etc. First thought is wind chimes, or wind causing movement of certain elements.

Made this half a dozen years ago, as a prototype for a metal version.  Mounted on the roof of my smithy.  Made out of teak it has weathered the winters well and hasn't fallen apart yet. I have the patterns still for the likely sheet copper and steel version. Next one may have smith and striker.

image.png

smithgig

Restored a friends family heirloom windvane that was on his grandparents house on Wasilla Lake which sees pretty fierce winds every winter. All he had left was the Eagle and it was falling apart. Runs on bearings and swings to the slightest breeze. 

9140C6BD-41EB-4046-B146-2DF2EA49EFF9.jpeg

A lot of these scrap birds I make have spring necks. They sway in the breeze and when birds perch on the head. Sometimes we put a bit of meat on the beak and the butcher birds like the one in the picture come for it. Birds have good balance, and we often amuse ourselves watching them sway in the opposite direction to maintain balance. (The white streak in the photo is a Christmas light wire that got in the way).

butcher bird.JPG

Here are a few of my larger bells plus a planet like sculpture that rotates and has a light and a dark side.

20170416_144527.jpg

DSCN1808.JPG

DSCF1643.JPG

DSCN0461.JPG

DSCN0466.JPG

I made these out of wood but I think a good smith (not me) could makes something like this out of copper or steel. 

butterfly mobile.jpg

DSCF7316.JPG

P1050376.JPG

I'm not much good at this movie taking, but here's a try from my phone. The dancing girl is made from some old pliers, a bicycle sprocket, a spring and some other bits. She pirouettes on an old motor from our air conditioner which was struck by lightning. It has a very smooth action. She sits on our deck table now and when we walk past, a flick on the skirt will keep her spinning for a while.

Hope this video works: