I Forge Iron

Pre-Newbie

dokpm0

I'm Kevin, and think I might have been bitten by the blacksmithing bug.  YouTube is a dangerous thing.  I stumbled across some blacksmithing videos, and have been watching almost nothing else since.

I've done a little reading here, including the Read Me First post.  I have a lot more reading to do.

I have no equipment yet.  I do have a hand cranked blower, model 60C, made by Champion Blower and Forge on its way from an eBay seller.  I took a chance and placed a low bid on it, fully expecting to get outbid.  No one bid against me.

Searching online I haven't found any blacksmith groups in my area.  I did find that Homestead Heritage Forge offers classes.  They seem a little pricey, but might be worth it.

I'll probably start with a box of dirt forge and work my way up from there.

I'm between Dallas and Austin, about 90 miles from each.  Houston is about 240 miles from me.  Balcones Forge's web site says that they're Central Texas blacksmiths, but the most recent meeting location and nearest class location I found listed on their web site were both over 120 miles from me.  For Texas that might be considered right down the road, but I'd like to explore options closer to home, if there are any.  I work in Waco, and Homestead Heritage is only about thirteen miles from where I work.