I Forge Iron

My first set

Scotty30815

Interesting doing the bits first as i initially thought (and attempted before watching videos) whereas the couple i watched did reins first....oh no dont mention that W**d word...youll have me calling in sick and buying mule team 20 to try it....might just try anyway for giggles .

If you don't use Borax in the laundry or dish washer there are better fluxes for not much more. I pick up Peterson #2 blue welding, brazing, etc. flux at the local welding supply for about $26/lb can shipping (to Alaska) included. It's anhydrous borax, boric acid and something secret that's blue and it works as well as any "forge welding" flux I've used for less than 1/2 the price.

A good tong size is 3/8" x 3/4" strap stock it's much easier to draw down for the reigns.

About the safety thing. Post a dangerous practice here and get used to being called on it. Period.

Given a choice between bare feet and thongs, go bare hot scale can't get trapped between your foot and a plastic strap. Bare skin at the anvil usually has a sheen of sweat on it making hot stuff more likely to bounce off where synthetic fabrics melt and deep fry you. 

Buck naked beats rayon in a hot shop though arc welding will give you a NASTY burn, worse than running naked at Burning Man.

Frosty The Lucky. 

On 11/15/2018 at 9:44 PM, Frosty said:

Post a dangerous practice here and get used to being called on it. Period.

Given a choice between bare feet and 

Its not getting called out that bugged me...its the asinine way that it was carried out. Funny part is...had no issues until i wore a pair of boots...couldnt get those things off fast enough when a piece of hot metal landed between the tongue and my sock...yeah ill forge barefoot from now on...as you said barefoot that metal would of bounced and id barely felt it...since I was wearing boots it got stuck...

as far as stock thickness i used what I had. Ideally id have the $10 and go buy a piece the right thickness...then ive got some coil springs but tongs shouldnt be tool steel from my understanding

Coil spring is fine for tongs (especially since that means they can be lighter and still be just as strong), but you have to make sure you don't quench them to cool them off. That can lead to unexpected and unwanted brittleness, which you do NOT want in tongs.

On 11/15/2018 at 9:44 PM, Frosty said:

worse than running naked at Burning Man.

You know this from personal experience?