I Forge Iron

Buying my son a forge

MOguy

My son is junior in high school and enrolled in a program studying welding.  He also wants to get into blacksmithing primarily making knives. For Christmas I am looking at getting him some items he will need for blacksmithing. One of the items is a Forge. I needed to be portable, operate on propane, perform and safe.  The forge below is about $170 on eBay.  Would this work to get him statred?

s-l1600-1.jpg

Welcome to IFI! If you haven't yet, please READ THIS FIRST!!!

That forge is lined with unrigidized ceramic wool blanket, which WILL put microscopic ceramic fibers in the air. You do NOT want your son breathing that. Please read the relevant sections of the Gas Forges section for health and safety warnings and how to make a forge safer.

Thanks for the responses. Thanks for the information about the safety aspects. Can anybody provide me with the link to forges 101.  When I searched it I get almost 3500 returns, I went through the first pages and  many people talking about Forge 101 but can't the actual link itself.  

Before I post it I searched here and the number responses on the subject was overwhelming.  

I know it may sound bad or lazy but I am looking for the easy options at this point untill I can gain a better understanding on this topic.

No, do not buy your son that product. I am a sophomore in hs and have been forging for 2 years. A coal forge is simple to build as a father son project and will let him see if he enjoys it. A little future proofing in case your stuck with that forge. The forge itself is unsafe due to the uncovered blanket and the one layer of wool brings into question its efficiency.

• 5 weeks later...
On 11/12/2018 at 9:41 AM, Irondragon Forge & Clay said:

I would look into the Chile forges.

I am a newbie and bought a Chili Habernero a few weeks ago. Stacie from Chili was great to work with and answered all my dumb questions. They are more expensive but the setup takes about 3 minutes and it is ready to go. I have used it a few times and have no buyers remorse. Easier to learn on this than trying to learn after building one or buying one that requires modifications.