I Forge Iron

Chili Forge

beef56

I am considering buying a Chili Habernero forge. It seems I would be paying a substantial premium over a NC Forge. Are they that much better quality? I have read that the Chili is more fuel efficient which, if true, could offset that initial cost over time. Also does anyone have any experience regarding re-lining the Chili forge? 

This may have need discussed in an earlier thread but I don't have much success searching this forum. Thanks in advance!

Better quality? that depends on what you mean by the term; most well known commercial forges are well enough built; that doesn't mean they are equally up to date in design. Hotter  burner designs make hotter forges. Chile forge has a better burner design. It's my design; in stead of patenting it, I wrote a book about it. Anyone who asked to use it in a commercial product I encouraged to do so without any need for license. Chile forge chose to take advantage of the offer. I don't feel sorry for those who didn't bother.

Thanks Mike for designing the burner. It sounds like Chili used yours and it is a success. I could build a forge and burners but don't want to take the time. I only have a few hours one day a week to work on it. My wife says I would spend $500 on supplies and it still wouldn't work, she may be correct! I am leaning towards the Chili in spite of it's cost. 

They didn't stop innovating with their choice of burner; they have also kept up to the minute in forge designs. Are there better forge designs out there? Yes there are, but not in a full size forge; only in miniature forges. If Chile made a miniature forge, I would expect them to blow away the competition there too.

Susan Hutchinson used a Habanero for her demos at the ABANA conference this past summer. Seems she uses one in her home shop, and asked Chile to send one for her use. What a nice forge! She welded without missing a beat. The boss of Chile came the last day and sold the forge for a nice discount. If I were in the market for one, that would be my choice. I don't think you will regret the decision.

Steve

I don't think I will regret the purchase. The most common complaint about the Chili is the price, not the quality. I could have built one or bought one much cheaper but would they perform? I can almost bet my first burner and forge build would be less than stellar!

That mattered to me a few years back; not now. What matters now is that they  keep on putting out a good product. Hybridburner.com puts out a good burner in a variety of sizes, while Chile Forge ended up with only one burner size. The difference in burner design would be trumped by the available sizes--if they also marketed forges ;unfortunately, they don't--if they did I would be recommending their product.

When it comes to tools, things are what they are, and "practical" is the winner. I don't care about who's product edges out the other, or who I don't like. Just beeping my facts straight is a full time job; there ain't no time left for stroking my druthers :P

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
On 11/12/2018 at 9:26 AM, Mikey98118 said:

Better quality? that depends on what you mean by the term; most well known commercial forges are well enough built; that doesn't mean they are equally up to date in design. Hotter  burner designs make hotter forges. Chile forge has a better burner design. It's my design; in stead of patenting it, I wrote a book about it. Anyone who asked to use it in a commercial product I encouraged to do so without any need for license. Chile forge chose to take advantage of the offer. I don't feel sorry for those who didn't bother.

What's the name of your book? 

Gas Burners for Forges, Furnaces, & Kilns, but it is no longer printed. Used copies are pricey, but can be put right back on the market for all you pay for them, The book is available in some libraries, and of course, pirated copies are available on the Net.

• 5 months later...