I Forge Iron

Old anvil with anchor stamp

Hello.

I recently started blacksmithing and got this old anvil from my dad. He has no idea where its from or how old it is.
As far as I can see there are no markings on it other than the anchor stamping on the front foot.
It weighs about 50 kgs.

Does anyone have any idea of its origin and age? I have searched the forum but cannot find any similar ones, but I have seen some english ones from the 1800s that resembles it a little.

IMG_0705.thumb.JPG.3e1ec9bb8da2c22eff32564cf9522470.JPGIMG_0708.thumb.JPG.5b4e23209ac0b90c26d4df94652259f7.JPGIMG_0706.thumb.JPG.363fda3307df695cf5c6ac26aa90c991.JPG

IMG_0607.thumb.JPG.d398c7b13254577c13d131f839a612f0.JPG

England, most likely pre 1830 since it's missing the pritchel hole, weight  1 0 0(?)  would be 112 pounds; Postman says that the anchor symbol was sometimes found on the foot of Peter Wright anvils and that is what I would "guess" it was.

Note: stamped weight is often a few pounds off from modern calibrated scale weight...

Made by hand under open die steam hammers and with teams of strikers using sledges.  Many anvils have a lean, especially the older ones. You can build a stump to level the face out.   DO NOT TRY TO MILL THE FACE LEVEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The stump it is one is quite interesting too; looks to be dovetailed pieces of wood. Was it originally glued as well?

Thomas Powers, The induvidual pieces are not glued together, but interlinked with eachother in a way that keeps them all together, but if i hammer hard on one piece it will slide out a bit. It has a plack on the side with the name "Meesenburg" which is an old German company, but i have no idea how old it is. I've always thought it was an old butchers block. I wonder what wood its made of, because itsreally really heavy! Much heavier than the anvil!

And, also, message recieved, I will not mill the surface! haha

Interesting to note the absence of a step between the horn and the face. If this were a later model, I would say that this makes it a “Birmingham pattern” anvil rather than a “London pattern”. However, since this does appear to be from a slightly earlier period, that distinction may not yet have crystallized when this anvil was made. 

• 2 years later...