I Forge Iron

Knife "grinder"

GMoore

I am, sort of, kind of, a smith.  I have a fairly good shop, coal and gas forges, anvils, hammers (etc.), welders (gas, MIG, ARC), power hammer, and more equipment than I have room for.  But, I would like to forge some knives.  Grinders/polishers?  Don't want to waste my time on an inferior machine (and, turn around to buy a better one down the line).  Recommendations?  Say, I am willing to spend $1,000 to $2,000.  Costs of sanding belts?  110V or 220V?  Help, please.

You are lucky that there are so many more machines around then there used to be.  In your price range I would definitely go for variable speed, 220 V and 1.5 HP.  On the bottom end you have Oregon Blademaker and Pheer (and others), on the top of your range a Bader or AMK-77. 

Belts are not cheap, but in my experience worth it for good quality like Norton Blaze or equal ceramic for at least 60 and 120 grit.

At the top end of your price range, Northridge tool makes a wonderful 2 X 72 grinder. Their basic package is right at $2000 US, and is pictured below.

If you have the time and technical skills, MANY MANY MANY people build their own. I COULD have built my own, but I just dont have the time with a young family, so I bought their pro-package. I find trugrit has generally the better prices and selection of belts. I wholeheartedly second the norton blaze belts, a little more upfornt, but last 3-4 times as long.

NRT 2x72 Standard Package

15 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

I'm a Bader fan.

Oh? Who they playing? I know I should know but I'm not a big sport fan kind of guy I don't even know what they play. 

Constant exposure has finally contaminated me I'm getting into a televised sport. I've actually been arranging my schedule to catch matches. Even more serious symptoms are expressing, I'm starting to follow the strategy as it happens by the end and I'm starting to understand the common taters, I'm learning the jargon.

Gotta love it, what blacksmith could resist a game where the end comes with the hammer?

I now return control of the thread to you.

Frosty The Lucky.