I Forge Iron

Hi from a new would be blacksmith

hobb0042

Hi all thought id introduce myself, im a 30 year old trained car mechanic from the Wales. 

I first started getting into metalwork design, projects and pieces about two years ago and having the experience of welding grinding etc has really helped me along the way to deciding i want to get into this more.

I've mad a few small projects for family and friends and want to get better and work harder at this field and hopefully run a successful small business from my work and all your invaluable help and information. im really interested in making small personalised items for people home decor etc i'm not equipped or experienced at looking for large projects. 

Ive got a corner of my workshop im currently setting up after purchasing my first anvil, a 3 burner gas forge and a treadle type power hammer as well as a plasma cutter some hand tools which i really want to expand on either by making my own punches drifts formers swages etc or purchasing along the way as i find.

I look forward to talking to you all and discussing our shared interests in blacksmithing

thanks guys

Thanks a lot for the welcome guys I hope to learn a lot along the way. Yeah unfortunately some people don't seem to see the value or the possibilities in blacksmithing and the old equipment usually goes languishing somwhere unloved until its tossed for scrap. People I have spoken to call it a dead art or forgotten past time but we all know different and I'm out to prove it's alive and well like all of us who understand and love and live the life. 

53 minutes ago, hobb0042 said:

. People I have spoken to call it a dead art or forgotten past time.

That is one of the most frequent comments I hear at my demos. We all know different.

Wales is a nice place. Went there once. Very scenic. We have an interest in railways and locomotives and enjoyed a visit to Betws-y -coed. (I had to Google that for the spelling!)

My response to it's a dying art varies depending on mood, audience, etc. One of my favorites is to check my pulse and say, "Nope I'm still here." Some events there will be 3-4 of us set up and I can make a "Stage look around and raise my eyebrows at the audience and shake my head." Then I'll talk about the current state of blacksmiths in the country and how fast it's growing because of current reality TV. 

Make em laugh then slip in a little learning on them. I know, it's sneaky but I'm devious that way.

Frosty The Lucky.

Ooh that's a good one! I've stolen it in return, is this that barter thing? Nothing beats a little humorous theatrics for teaching folks stuff. People who are laughing pay closer attention and remember better. 

Frosty The Lucky.

loving the comments guys especially Frosty -  "People who are laughing pay closer attention and remember better" hilarious and absolutely true.

Yes i've no interest in making swords or knives axes just decorative pieces people can enjoy and sell well. 

im hoping for , key rings, bottle openers, etc for small start ups and sales work a few markets maybe etsy - (has anybody had much expierence with etsy? if you have let me know thanks) -  and with some work and a lot of help looking through forums move on to candle holders kitchenwares such as pot holders, racking etc.

Rose and all types of flowers i really enjoy making and researching other peoples methods and they are always a hit with the wife so win win haha

you know when you walk in some place and there's a really poorly built  put together something or other and your other half wants to buy it and your saying to yourself i can do better than that  - that's where i want to be. and yes shes still waiting for the fruit and veg racking, the scroll shelf brackets etc i promised three months ago lol. luckily enough shes understanding although it does come up from time to time 

thanks guys