I Forge Iron

mir-co

I just came across this forum looking for heat treating recommendations. 

I am a journeyman machinist and I have a shop I run with two of my sons. We have full cnc capabilities and provide local businesses with prototyping capabilities. 

I have been heat treating for over 20 years but I am always looking to learn and pick up new tricks and tips. 

This forum looks awesome. I don' know how I never came across it before. 

Good Morning and Welcome,

As you know, everyone is good at something. The tough part is trying to figure out what that something is. Sometimes you may ask a question and get all kinds of crazy answers, just filter through and pick out the snippets. Most people here are smart enough to offer a snick of information. Some have been in the 'GAME' for their lifetime. It is difficult to see through the keyboard, to verify.

Enjoy the Journey. I also work with my son, it is humbling to hear some of their thoughts.

Neil

Be carful, Jerry grew up in an aerospace metal spinning shop. He took up blacksmithing to relive the stress of working to hundred thousands of an inch.  

I remember the power company my dad worked for still had a blacksmith in the weld shop to make blanks for “unubtanium” parts. Then when steel prices dropped they let him retire and didn’t replace him. 

Welcome aboard Mir co, glad to have you. Heh, heh, heh, Dad spun to crazy stupid tight tolerances, I: trimmed, rolled beads, sharpened corners, polished and when I was big enough spun steel candle lamp shades and bases. If I spun to a thou, it was by accident. It was still exacting and blacksmithing was welcome relief, mark one eyeball scale and dividers rather than a mic. and vernier.

Dad subbed heat treatment out except on rare occasion, we did some cryo but rarely.

What do you have in mind to make? 

Frosty The Lucky.