I Forge Iron

Newbie Questions's

Ok so im just getting into the craft of blacksmithing, im building a brake drum forge as we speak. Now i need an Anvil. So question is do i start with a Cast Iorn Cheapy from northern tool or grizzly? Can you still find the Harbor freigh russians? what do you guys think im kinda strapped for cash at the moment (gunsmithing tools) but would like to dabble a little before making any large cash investments.

Just go out and find any large chuncK of metal. in all actuality I would take a piece of rail road track over a cast iron anvil. If you dig around you might be able to find an old fork from a forklift, chunk of rr track, any hunk of metal will do. save your money and Keep your eyes open for a real anvil. you will be supprised where they turn up when people start finding out what you do!

Hi there Stubs and welcome to IFI. Further to Jose's post, you may like to peruse Lessons in Metalworking > Blacksmithing > Lesson 5: anvils. The list of Lessons is here. We have over 500 blueprints on tips, techniques, theory, chemistry and myriad other metalworking topics, but only around half that number are online at the moment due to a refit.

BTW, what aspect of gun smithing do you do? Feel free to PM me if you don't want to veer this topic off course.

And YES, he's THAT Thomas! :o

Welcome aboard Stubs. There's all kinds of info on improvising smithing tools and equipment so you can build skills while you look for the "real" stuff.

One of my heros is Alexander Weygers who wrote "The Complete Modern Blacksmith" It's probably the best book for building a working smithy or general metal shop from found items.

There are others that do a better job of teaching you to smith but none better (that I've seen) for bootstrapping yourself on whatever's around.

Frosty