I Forge Iron

Turning a meteorite into a wedding ring

Geologist Paul

Hi All,

I want to make (or have somebody make) a ring out of a type of meteorite called pallasite (see link below). I would provide the meteorite.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pallasite

Esquel.jpg

The ring should be a thin, uncomplicated affair like this.

Related image

Does anybody know who could do such a thing?

Presumably you would just saw out the olivine and send it away to a lapidary to cut the stones and then just melt down the metal parts of the meteorite and cast into a ring. 

Thanks for any help or contacts,

Paul

Mr. G. Paul,

I presume that you wish to extract the peridot crystals from your particular meteorite specimen to make the ring.

(if any peridot crystals would suffice, you could purchase same on the market).

Mineral acids such as hydrochloric and sulfuric acid will attack the iron and nickel in the matrix, and eat it away.  That is one of the ways that is used to extract the peridot crystals.

Indeed,  pallasite,   and other meteorite specimens,  are etched in order to enhance, the fantastic Widmanstetten patterns seen in those specimens.

I seem to recall that such treatment was mentioned to free peridot crystals from meteorite specimens. I saw/heard it on a television show that featured the adventures of two meteorite hunters.  The show was screened for about three seasons.

(The series ended about six years ago.)

Some i.f.I. member may help supply the name of that series.

Hope that helps,

SLAG.

Casting of course destroys the widmanstatten patterns and leaves a ring that will rust on your finger and may cause issues for people with nickel sensitivity.  You should at least expect to line it with silver or gold.

I know people with such skills but it would be EXTREMELY expensive and I don't even know if you are in the same continent as they are!

Geologist Thomas

Thanks for the answers SLAG and Thomas,

My clever nuclear chemist wife immediately pointed out the oxidation problem, but wonders why the Widmanstetten patterns do not oxidize naturally. Anyway, that is off-topic.

I do not have a pallasite specimen, I was thinking of purchasing one, sawing out the olivine and using the metallic matrix for the ring. Now I see that is not the way to go as it appears most meteorite rings are not cast.

I think I will go the easy route and just purchase the olivines from here

http://www.kdmeteorites.com/2mmCalibratedMeteoritePeridot.html

And getting these people to make the ring.

https://jewelrybyjohan.com/collections/meteorite-rings

Thanks again for the help,

Geologist Paul out