I Forge Iron

Opinions Appreciated on Purchase of Permanent Forge

Uppercanadian

Hello, 

This is my first posting here, so I hope I do it correctly.  I got started about 15 years ago and was only starting to learn with a portable riveting forge, but gave it up due to family obligations.  Now that my kids are older, I would like to get back into it.  There is a fellow selling the below forge, and I was wondering if I could get your opinions as to how effective this forge would be.  Unfortunately, I only have the pictures that he has posted.

My first concern is that the pot is at the very back.  It would appear that I would not be able to put a long piece into the hottest part of the pot.  He has not answered my question yet but also it appears that the plate is not very thick.

This would just be a hobby for me, and the price is certainly right, but there is no point in buying it if it is poorly designed.

Anyway, I would appreciate the opinions of the people here who would know better.

Thanks so much

Brad

$_57.jpg

$_59.jpg

$_58.jpg

Welcome to IFI... Have you read this yet? https://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/53873-read-this-first/

It will help you get the best out of the forum.

In my opinion that's a terrible design for a bottom blast forge, it would take extensive modifications if it were mine. Is it complete with blower? If you don't mind me asking how much does he want for it.

Hello Irondragon,

Thank you for the link.  I will read and ensure I follow the proper protocols here.

The cost is Can$225.00, which is about US$170.00.  It does not come with a blower.  

It doesn't have legs, but I was thinking of building a brick foundation around it to support it.  Alternatively, I guess I could weld some legs on.

I would be interested in what modifications you think might make it worthwhile.  Perhaps cutting out a good portion of the sides might be one.  I have not run across too many of these.  

My portable rivet forge works reasonably well with a hand blower, but it does also have limitations.

Thank you for taking the time to respond!

All the best,

Brad 

The fire pot is way too large, used as is it would consume a lot of coal and wouldn't work at all with charcoal. It would need to have clay put in or plate welded up to make a smaller fire pot and plate welded in for a hearth (table) to place coal around the fire so it can coke up. It would need a better fire grate, thin plate with drilled holes will burn out and the holes are notorious for clogging up with clinker and ash. The side "wings would need cutting back to allow long stock to be placed in the fire. As you said it will need a much better base.

For all it needs you would be better off starting from scratch, good forges are not hard to build especially if you have access to a welder.

My main coal forge is not much larger than a rivet forge and it has done everything I have needed for about 35 years now. Granted it's a little heavier & larger in diameter at 26 inches than most rivet forges but you can do a lot of work with one. Mine was made from an old worn out semi-tractor wheel & a manhole ring for the hearth, hand crank Champion blower.

100_1762.thumb.JPG.b1387f716e3d204109ba1c1c5c89ac43.JPG

1803485571_Showpictures003.thumb.jpg.7cbad6b0b4da9a07f6a1bb8a564ade63.jpg

It’s nice to put a face to the poster Akron Dragon. Nice forge. I would prefer a smallish table were you have tools hung, but each to his own. 

UC, I Aggie with John and would pass. One can order a cast fire pot or fabricate a water cooled side blast tuyere if you want to go with brick work. If you think of a forge as either an anvil hight box (side blast) or table (bottom blast) your close. 30” square or 30x60 (for a side blast that’s a 30” square box with a 30” square side table) make exiling and tarditinal pertinent shop forges. 

For a brick bottom blast you are basically going to just build a brick tiled table with the cast for owl inset. Wile for a side blast you build an 8” deep planter box with a tuyere sticking in about a foot

the advice I give people who are beyond beginner and want to "get serious" is to buy a good firepot setup that includes a clunker ball, cash dump and tuyre. Centaur Forge is a good place to start looking. A table to set it in can be anything from simple to sublime. 

Check their setups out. It will give you a good reference point to start from.