I Forge Iron

Museum smithy handbook?

John McPherson

OK, hive mind, I need some help. A local historic home/museum that I volunteer at has recently built a demonstrating smithy. Now they want to write a guidebook for the rotating cadre of blacksmiths that show up to operate the shop for tourists and school groups. Shop rules, things to make. Things NOT to make.

Before we re-invent the wheel, does anyone have a document that they would be willing to share? A site online that has this already? My google-fu is weak on this one.

The limited demo work I've done, the only rule was No Welding, due to the proximity of the crowd and the little tykes whos eyes are at the same height as the anvil...

Similar thing goes for scrubbing off hot scale - be mindful of where that stuff is going..

Some places will set up lexan barriers, which might allow for welding, though it wouldn't be terribly historical looking.

Other recommendations are to stick to simple items that don't take very long to forge, and that you can do reasonably well while distracted and answering questions.  I've found it useful to have one item already completed, and one piece of parent stock propped up and available to hand out so people can see where you started, and where you're going to finish up in case they don't stick around.  This is especially helpful for things that take more than a half dozen heats to make.

OK, let me try again.  Not how to do a demo, (which I do appreciate) but who is responsible for what and when, step by step site opening to closing procedures, clock-in/clock-out, time sheets, inventories, key issuance, alarm codes and security rules, etc.

Administrative oversight and guidance, in other words.  I need advice from the museum side of things.  Does anyone already have such a manual?

Addendum: I've exchanged emails with the head of security at the museum, and we plan to connect about this next week. I've forwarded her an edited version of your question, John, and I'll let you know how things shake out.

Just got the following message from our director of museum security:

Hi John,
I looked over the information you provided regarding the help your friend is in need of and feel the best place to direct him to is Hales Farm and Village:     https://www.wrhs.org/about/contact-us/.
They have a very similar situation your friend is speaking of.  Although I'm not completely informed of their security measures, I do know they have security and hopeful they would have procedures they can share with your friend.  
Best,
Chris

The direct link to the Hales Farm & Village is https://www.wrhs.org/plan-your-visit/hale-farm/.

Hope this helps. 
JHCC