I Forge Iron

Mikey style 3/4 inch burner built

mariom2

15 hours ago, Mikey98118 said:

Or, you can cast your own version of a round kiln shelf, with the exhaust opening built in :D

This is what I was thinking about and use the same cast o lite.  Let see what happens with the cast first.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't mean to look for used Kaowool, ask about pieces trimmed of Kaowool from working on furnaces. Sure a lot can be used in other furnaces but it doesn't meet code here. I don't know about Ecuador but some pieces are just too small to be useful, it's a practical matter.  Seeing as you did it the easy way and just bought a roll the suggestion is just for the information, maybe someone else can use it. 

If you do it soon enough cast refractory can be cut, sometimes easily. That can be a little risky if you don't let it set up enough. Masonry grinders, cut off blades, etc. work just fine. I have a couple masonry hack saw and hole saw blades. 

Frosty The Lucky. 

• 3 weeks later...

Here the cast!!.  Actually it came out better than I thought for a first timer B)

The molds are still reusable.

IMG_1851.JPG.89df023f71c65d68de3a59be7d597667.JPG

IMG_1852.JPG.70813cb15b139281efa3b850636d8714.JPG

If I have to do it again would try to use some type of funnel to pour the cast, as it was not easy.  First I calculated the volume and add about 10% more, then got the weight.  As per the instructions measured 2.75 oz of water /pound and got ready to use 3oz just in case.  After mixing with 2.75  and then 3.00 oz realized it was way to hard to pour it in that shape, so I add a little bit more and got it better.  Guess I was l lucky the amount of mix was just enough to complete it.  Next time will put 15% more instead of 10%.

I used car wax on the outside and the burner tube as release agent but did not put nothing in the inside.  To my surprise it came out very easy, being opened on one side.

IMG_1853.JPG.ef9d206bf1ef6bea45ce290454301af7.JPG

I am planing to cast a small flat portion at the bottom to use it as a kiln,  but I am not sure if it is a good idea.  Suggestions??

IMG_1860.JPG.5ac01da5b77e8321bf5cc3bf0d9543fa.JPG

• 6 months later...

Life has been very busy these past months, very little shop time, some delay but project keeps going.

It now needs to be fired.  There is no loose  Kaowool except for the burner port.  I do not want to have loose fibers of ceramic blanket so I need to rigidize and plaster  it with the same Kastolite. It should work ok.

IMG_2156.JPG

IMG_2159.JPG

IMG_2175.JPG

IMG_2176.JPG

IMG_2177.JPG

I also need to think on some type of doors for the openings.

• 3 weeks later...