I Forge Iron

Why does my Vulcan 8 also have a 2 on it ?

I just bought a vulan 8 anvil from a friend . Got it for $200 probably over paid a bit but he needed the money and I wanted the anvil. It’s in good shape . Some nicks and things but all in all a good looking anvil. However as I was cleaning it up I seen a raised 2 on the other foot . Was wondering if anyone knew what that means . 

Not sure why this is . Do they all have this ? I know nothing . 

E3FC208C-9AD0-4C2C-B4D0-09AB0277153A.thumb.jpeg.fb25f39dfcfb07fc3d3a643a491e16c1.jpeg

76275EF3-4E34-4CAB-9884-6CC3BDCC4847.jpeg

If you’re an electrician , you must know some contractors. Ask them about steel from demolition jobs. The stands for my anvil and post vise started life as a 4x8 I-beam from a house down the street that was being torn down. My new guillotine used to be the steel support for a fireplace mantel. All free for the taking (with permission) — it saved them the hassle and expense of hauling it to the scrap yard. 

That is true. Scrap metal for a stand is easier to find. I beam or Rectangular hollow section from demolition make for a fine tripod.

Grammar Hammer, your other post about the Australian story book has a few spelling mistakes ... :P

You said "8" chimney pipe"....although I know not what your plans are, the general consensus here has been that 8" tends to be too small.  You might want to search the site on the subject for better input but IIRC, generally 10" is about the minimum and 12" better.

I'm assuming a forge hood here so might be far off base.

Did you check the local code?  For woodstoves it's usually 3 feet above where it sticks through the roof and 2' more than anything within 10' of it. Mine is stuck out a hole in the shop wall at a steep angle and is a 10' section of 10" spiral seamed ductwork I got cheap from the ReStore.

Well I was working at a heating and cooling place today . So I of course had to ask where I could get some duct work like they got . The nice guy said “ I’ve got some here how much do you need?” I’m thinking SCORE!!!! Well then he asked me what I was doing with it . I explained it was for a forge and going through my roof in my garage . He said that it had to be double walled pipe if it’s going through the roof . I assume that means it’s code here in my neck of the woods . That stuff is expensive ! Not sure code enforcement will make it to my house though. Lol 

If you have any large trees near the building, the top of the chimney needs to be 3 - 4 feet above the top of the roof line to assure a good draw.

Look at any building from the 18th and 19th century when they cooked and heated with wood and/or coal, and built structures around the fireplaces and furnaces. Compare that to recent homes where the fireplace is an architect's cosmetic afterthought.

It this garage attached to your house?  If so NOT following code can mean that if there is ever a house fire for ANY reason the insurance doesn't have to pay out.

Me I live in a rural area and the forge is quite a distance form the house and has to follow farm code===*much* more lenient.

Nope not attached to the house . I’ll be checking the code either way . But am eyeing some 10” pipe . I assume I should get galvanized . So looking into that. Just got rid of some solar panels so I got a little cash to spend . So I’m looking into it . I think I can get some 8” for free . Would that work if I got a in line fan for it ? 

Inline fans do not usually deal well with heat and smoke and fly ash.  Why spend money if you can find it cheap---any building remodelling going on?  I felt chuffed that I had got my 10' spiral seemed ductwork so cheap at the ReStore till the next time I had an endocrinologist visit and they were remodelling the building behind there and had a 40 yard dumpster full of ductwork of various sizes.

Of course when I found it cheap I bought enough for several chimneys---it stores right well in the roof trusses of the shop.

It always surprised me the reluctance of using fans to boost flue performance. Very comon in the UK

If you add up the cost of 12" double wall flue, and compare with 6" or 8" fan forced flue, i think the fan will come for free.

The fan you need to look for is called a centrifugal fan aka squirrel cage fan, very much like a forge blower. . The fan is inside a box and the motor is outside the box, so heat is a non issue. Axial fans like a bathroom fan would be of course out of the question.

Check Cincinnati fans and Dayton fans. Plenty there to choose from. 

Someone posted a forge in an enclosed space some time ago ... believe it was Sweden (?) 6" pipe at 45 then horizontal and then upwards, would never work not even in a storm, yet worked a charm with a simple fan. 

Ok thanks ! I’ve worked on a lot of this type of fan . On a much larger scale .  I’m talking like 3’ to 4’ in circumference . Have not yet got my hands on something I can use at home . I’m doing as much homework as I can on this as the smoke is really bad in my garage . Probably go this weekend and get something in . I was just really hoping to find something for free.