I Forge Iron

Got me some vises

fleur de lis

Haven't posted anything in a few years, so I figured I'd share this. 

Since I've finally started selling some of the stuff I make, I decided it was time to invest in some better tools/equipment. Time is money and all that :)

With that in mind I went to the great bazaar of the interwebs. Craigslist.

Found these two local to me for a fair price. Not great, but fair. But when you don't have a good vise at all, fair is relative I guess. $300 for the pair & will be getting a 80-100 pound travel anvil from the guy this weekend for rewiring a car trailer for him. 

One of these is a dang nice 70 Iron City. Still has almost all the cross hatch on the jaws. Yeah, it'll out last me. 

Not real sure what the other on is. Its a 50 and has what looks to be ENGLISH WARRENT above that & that its old. Unfortunately I've got to make a new screw box for it. Had some weird cobbled together thing with seized up ball bearings in it. Got a acme screw and coupler nut coming & some pipe. Also got a 2-1/2" x 4" round of mystery metal I'll likely turn down for the handle end (can't remember the name). So not to bad I guess. Another 50 bucks in material to fix it. 

Get these cleaned up and some stands made & then its off to the next project. Build a bigger forge. Then take over the garage..... Maybe.... I hope..... Well, it'd be nice.... Man I hope she doesn't change her mind on that one..... It gets cold on the back porch.....

1030182010.jpg

1030182009.jpg

1030182010b.jpg

1030182010a.jpg

Now with a stand, not sure of baby anvil / ASO, and ready to get back to work. 

I need to add some gussets to the stand, but my dinky little 110 machine really ain't up to material this thick. I'll snag one of the suit case tig machines from work at some point to do it. 

Not sure of the baby anvil right there. Its not the one I was expecting. That one ended up being cracked through the waist. But this one is what I got, so I'll make the most of it.

Also got the parts in for making a new screw box for the smaller vise. 

Anyways. Till next time. 

1105181630.jpg