I Forge Iron

New Shop Build

16 hours ago, Marc1 said:

How does it work to build a barn in your corner of the woods? You just do it, or do you have to go to the local mafia ... 

Most of southern Ohio does not have any zoning or building department for rural areas, so you can build whatever you want wherever you want. There are lots of places where you will see a $750k house next to a house trailer. Even in some of the smaller cities there is not much in terms of regulations. Up in northern Ohio most rural areas have zoning of some type, and almost all cities have a zoning and building department. The township I’m in has zoning, but no building department. You are supposed to get a zoning permit for any structural added or addition. There is a small fee,  if it is waived for agricultural buildings. The county just recently has started making people get plumbing permits. 

Marcusb - great progress. I have always liked that style of barn, although you don’t see many in this area. What is the overall size? Are you putting battens over the joints, or isn’t wind blown snow much of an issue this far south?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 hours ago, marcusb said:

All the siding you see, rafters and some internal wood I sawed from trees off my land. We have a insect here that has killed all the ash trees

The dreaded emerald ash borer. I'm right across the river from Cincinnati. They've killed all the ash around here. Do you also have the American Chestnut blight in your area? It's a fungus that makes big cankers on the trunk. If you catch it early you can plaster mud from around the base of the tree on the canker and wrap it up and it might stop it before it kills the tree. Surprisingly theres microbes in the soil that fight the fungus. Thats why it shows up just above the soil line.

Pnut

On 11/1/2019 at 3:34 PM, Marc1 said:

Great work and so cheap!

How does it work to build a barn in your corner of the woods? You just do it, or do you have to go to the local mafia ... sorry council, and put plans in, and pay for permits, and environmental impact study, and arborist inspection, and frog and worms ptsd tax etc? 

Jenny, how do you turn locust into timber? Black magic? :)

Thanks for the compliment. As was said above, I live in one of the last semi "free" corners of the country. People here just do what they need to, and the tax man comes around and assesses the results at a premium rate. 

On 11/2/2019 at 8:18 AM, Fowllife said:

Most of southern Ohio does not have any zoning or building department for rural areas, so you can build whatever you want wherever you want. There are lots of places where you will see a $750k house next to a house trailer. Even in some of the smaller cities there is not much in terms of regulations. Up in northern Ohio most rural areas have zoning of some type, and almost all cities have a zoning and building department. The township I’m in has zoning, but no building department. You are supposed to get a zoning permit for any structural added or addition. There is a small fee,  if it is waived for agricultural buildings. The county just recently has started making people get plumbing permits. 

Marcusb - great progress. I have always liked that style of barn, although you don’t see many in this area. What is the overall size? Are you putting battens over the joints, or isn’t wind blown snow much of an issue this far south?

I tell myself next year on the battens, but we all know how that goes :)... As for snow, last year I think we got 1/2" at most! I live down in a valley so our wind is nothing like I saw when I lived in Northern Ohio, and I cant say I miss that wind much at all!

On 11/2/2019 at 9:12 AM, pnut said:

The dreaded emerald ash borer. I'm right across the river from Cincinnati. They've killed all the ash around here. Do you also have the American Chestnut blight in your area? It's a fungus that makes big cankers on the trunk. If you catch it early you can plaster mud from around the base of the tree on the canker and wrap it up and it might stop it before it kills the tree. Surprisingly theres microbes in the soil that fight the fungus. Thats why it shows up just above the soil line.

Pnut

I can't say I have ever seen a Chestnut here. The Elms all die young from the dutch elm disease. I just heard Rural King imported sudden oak death into my area. The green latern fly is also headed this way. Going to be lots of lumber to saw in the coming years for sure!