I Forge Iron

New Shop Build

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, the mud/grit alone at the current job site would run the paint. I have planking  across the lower roof so I can set the upper rafters on the roof instead of a ladder. Once I have the upper roof framed I will try and roof it in one go.

• 9 months later...

I'm coming up short on lumber so I went up today and cut one more nice ash tree. 

Found this nice Ash, the bugs have done there work its dead...

IMG_6016.thumb.JPG.379ca4978088aa86237a2715071bb8fe.JPG

Wedged the tree over into a nice pocket..

IMG_6017.thumb.JPG.09fface9ff2614519925ff2447062299.JPG

Looks like there will be some pretty wood in the log..

IMG_6019.thumb.JPG.1ac1ae2d7a3b86727168888b5e88e777.JPG

My AXE!

IMG_6020.thumb.JPG.e0a41ff9d0d87dbaacfc2d92bb5e85c8.JPG

Getting a chain around the log, it did not want to co-operate. It took me a couple attempts but I got it.

IMG_6021.thumb.JPG.dc8ad0f960be23ac4fc5fe8228ef826d.JPG

Skidded the log to the mill. I'm going to make some lumber tomorrow!

IMG_6024.thumb.JPG.85cd93d18999cc7293ff71de5a2a5a97.JPG

Good to see some progress, looking good. 

Dolmar makes some nice saws, a buddy of mine has a few. One of is 7910's is ported and even with a 54" bar it will eat some wood.

What model is the Ford, mid-late '60's 4000? Roughly what area of southern Ohio are you in?

I have a '74 3000 gasser that has treated me pretty well. Those older Fords are fairly bulletproof tractors. I've been somewhat looking for a 4xxx series diesel to replace the 3000 since that's the only gas tractor I have.

The house/farm is SE of Sandusky, but my wife currently lives in Logan so I'm down in the Hocking Hills area quite often. 

I'm guessing your trying to get it dried in before the snow flies?

Small world, I used to live in Fremont. Are you a member of NOB? The old k's series Fords are hard to beat, just keep plugging along. I need to order a PTO cover for mine, I have had a few close calls while logging and there is not much holding them in there. I'm behind on my thread updates. I'm finishing up the front doors now and then its onto the floors. Goal is to have it powered and heated before the weather gets really bad, well bad for the southern part of the state anyways.:D

On 10/29/2019 at 11:18 AM, ThomasPowers said:

For the winter; the fiberglass sheets they sell for metal roof skylights might help. (And are cheaper than windows by far.)

I've got wood up there, I've considered using the clear panels, but they cost money.... :)  I will wait until I find some windows for free or very near to it. The Scot in my no doubt!

IMG_5763.JPG

On 10/30/2019 at 5:37 PM, jlpservicesinc said:

Very nice.  That went up quick.    What do you figure is your cost overall? 

I've really tried to do this on a shoe string, the only thing I bought retail was the roof metal and fasteners.

Poles were from another pole barn that someone tore down. Set in concrete so the bottoms looked weathered but were structurally sound. I flipped them over and put top in the ground :)  Cost me $250 for those.

The lumber (what lumber I did not saw myself) came from an estate auction. The dead guy hoarded wood from Lowes any time he could buy it on a discount and had a whole barn full of it. I bought a huge lot, big enough it took me two crazy truck loads to haul it all home. Paid $250 for it.

The roof I bought new since I wanted the shop to look nice. I found a local manufacture that rolls it to order. Buying it direct saved me decent amount of money. I bought the roof metal, trim, insulation and fasteners for it all from them. Cost me around $700.

All the siding you see, rafters and some internal wood I sawed from trees off my land. We have a insect here that has killed all the ash trees so I made lemonade and turned them into a shop. Cost of the blades $100.

I bolted all the main beams to the poles. It cost me $100 for the bolts.

Rear door track was free from a family member. 

Front door hinges were scrounged or made, I did have to buy two and that about killed me, Cost me $20

Misc. Nail screws and lag bolts $100

So after all that typing no one reads.............. :D

Around....

$1700 so far

I still have to wire it up and do the floors. I wired up another barn on my place to serve as a shop but its ready to fall over so I will be pulling the wiring out and installing it in this shop. I wont have much in the wiring other than some upgrades I plan for the house panel. I'm budgeting $200 for that portion.

I plan to do concrete in the center section so I can work on equipment etc, i have sand and gravel on the farm so I will be buying Portland cement and mixing it myself. 

My end goal is to have it powered, floored and ready to drag my junk in for $2000. 

Great work and so cheap!

How does it work to build a barn in your corner of the woods? You just do it, or do you have to go to the local mafia ... sorry council, and put plans in, and pay for permits, and environmental impact study, and arborist inspection, and frog and worms ptsd tax etc? 

Jenny, how do you turn locust into timber? Black magic? :)

Thomas,  All ready down.   it's a fast growing wood as well. I have a few saplings that have sprouted up here and there so will do some transplants once I get the area more situated. 

The bark is pretty chunky like elm or ash bark but once it's been down for a few months it peels off in sheets.  I have a huge selection and 75% of the downed pile is Black locust. 

Yup, to all of your descriptors.  Beautiful yellow color until aged.  it has the straightest slivers. :(

20191101_172325.jpg

20191101_172335.jpg

20191101_172424.jpg

20191101_172500.jpg

Biggest tree in our old neighborhood was a black locust. Huge, multiple trunks and on the west side of our house---summer shade!  Of course it turns out I am allergic to it's pollen and so each spring was a misery. It even got hit by lightening once, house too.  Current owner cut it down, took 1/2 the back yard for a garage and built a 2 story porch on the back of the house.

His house, his right; but still stupid in my opinion!  (I used to duct tape over the cabin air intakes on our cars each spring and park in front of the house; just to keep it.)

they are both pretty and smell really nice.  The thorns can be a problem when climbing them.  I have 3 ready for transplant.  I was thinking of putting them up around the shop towards the back. I have a huge one which I wanted to take down but was asked by the next door neighbor to leave it.   I think it will be the seed spreader and after a few years I'll have to take it down. Near 100ft tall now.