Scogand

Anvil details - Trenton?

Hi I just purchased an anvil. I believe it is a Trenton (faint letter in a diamond). It is stamped with “149”. The only other identifier is a “2” stamped off to the weight of the foot. Any details and manufacture information would be appreciated. Note: I paid $300. Thanks for help. 

3C83130B-EB7F-432C-9D91-61413185A024.jpeg

073D555F-3F1E-412F-B400-A9DE4738CC5B.jpeg

Yup, it's a Trenton. Not a bad deal in todays market. Looks in goos using condition too. 

Remember, no grinding on the face. :)

Thanks Daswulf! I tried to identify age online but looks like I need Anvils in America book. Anyway to date? (I will fight urge to grind). :rolleyes:

Welcome to IFI... Have you read this yet? Some answers need the location to be accurate. https://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/53873-read-this-first/

Yep...2.00 U.S. a pound is a good price and she should clean up well with nothing more than a wire wheel on an angle grinder. Just be cautious and wear PPE while cleaning her.

Thanks for the note. I added location. I read through and did some searching first. I will be breaking out the wire wheel. guidance is appreciated 

Get a picture of the bottom depression. A little more wire wheel cleanup and good pics and someone might be able to tell you more on a date and whatnot. 

Use it and enjoy. ;)

Trenton made in Germany.  It won't have a serial number.  Base is forged,  not cast.