I Forge Iron

Champion 400 Phosphor Bronze Gear Removal Help

Chelonian

Hi, In a previous thread I posted I mentioned that the phosphor bronze gear on my recently acquired Champion 400 is very worn out. I have since found a possible way to get a replacement gear, and I'm wondering what would be the best way to remove the old gear and install the new one. (I'm obviously not going to try removing it before I have the replacement, but I'm just wondering at this point) I'd like to keep the old gear intact and not break anything, so I'm looking for the gentlest approach possible. I also don't mind spending a lot of time on it either, it that's what it requires. In all the disassembly/restoration videos I've seen, they just leave the gear in, so I'm wondering if anyone here has done it.

Thanks!

Judging by how there have been zero responses, I'm thinking not very many people have tried removing the gear. If anyone reading this has, please just let me know what you did to get it out. Is the only way to tap the shaft with a hammer? Would it be helpful to use a penetrating fluid? If so, what kind?

Thanks!

12 hours ago, Chelonian said:

Would it be helpful to use a penetrating fluid?

Absolutely use some, soak it well. A 50/50 mix of auto trans fluid & acetone does wonders for freeing up frozen parts.

Have you read this thread & watched the video?

https://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/54691-champion-400-blower/

Yes, I have watched that whole video series, but he never actually took the bronze gear out. The bronze gear is also pretty much the only part I haven't taken out for cleaning on the blower. I'll try that penetrating fluid idea. Does it evaporate really fast, or does the trans fluid slow that down?

Thanks!