I Forge Iron

Foot-Vise Rejuvenation and Base Fabrication

Steamboat

I didn't remove the two bolts holding the fixed jaw insert. I figured that IF and when I ever need to change the jaw insert I might give it a try. There is always the chance that the bolts might break, in which case you'd probably have to drill them out. You might be able to lightly dress the jaw insert in place if you want a nice straight edge, but for most purposes, I think it's probably OK as is, unless it's loose.

If you want to try to remove the bolts, I'd suggest beginning with a very long soak in some rust-buster type penetrating oil/fluid, and you might consider trying an impact wrench on a very low torque setting (well below the amount of torque that could twist and break the bolts). Heating the jaw insert might help, but be careful not to overheat the  insert. I don't know what particular steel/alloy the insert is made of, so I can't offer guidelines as to a safe temperature range that would not have a negative effect on the insert.

Al (Steamboat)

On 6/11/2019 at 10:03 AM, Steven NY said:

Steamboat,

Great job, looks top notch!!

W

Thanks, W!

24 minutes ago, Timber Ridge Forge said:

Once dried it’s ready to go back to work.

Looks good, Timber Ridge! When you mount the vise on a base (or floor, perhaps?), just be careful when you tighten the bottom flange to whatever base you decide to use under it. If the flange is over-tightened against a surface that doesn't match the bottom flange surface perfectly, the cast iron could crack.

Cheers,

Al (Steamboat).

• 3 years later...

I just purchased one of these vises yesterday. It is also missing the stop/upsetter block. I did get some extra dies with it though. I am planning to restore also. Any progress on the upsetter block? Would like to see how you approached that part or if any available for purchase. 

@Candyman, I never have gotten around to making the upsetter blocks...too many other projects going on. I have, however, used the vise a number of times, and it's nice to have both hands free when you need to do multiple hold-and-reposition operations, especially with hot metal, when timing is important.