I Forge Iron

NE Tennessee Hobbyist

Kellerbomb

Hello all, another budding hobbyist joining the site. I don't know why I am drawn to starting another hobby, like leather working, drone flying, falconry, hunting, fishing, computer building and guarding six daughters wasn't enough for me already.... I guess the spirit of the DIY runs strong in my veins. I am currently a maintenance guy at a christian camp and a prior aircraft mechanic with some law enforcement thrown in the mix. We run a railroad at our camp and so I am starting this hobby with all my shop tools and a 24 inch piece of heavy gauge rail on end as an anvil. Since the dollhairs are tight (dang kids want to eat again??? I just fed them yesterday!) I am probably going to graduate from my current oxy/acetylene cutting torch/rosebud setup to a coal forge shortly since it's the most economical in my situation and I can also source coal and coke basically for free. 

Been lurking for a while and figured it's time to say Hi.

Welcome aboard, glad to have you. You sure do have a lot going on you NEED a hobby to take your mind off things. 

On 10/15/2018 at 7:23 PM, Kellerbomb said:

(dang kids want to eat again??? I just fed them yesterday!)

Maybe their rifles need to be zeroed? Unless they're sextuplets a couple have to be old enough to hunt for the pot, the others can tend the garden. I mean REALLY, what's happened to Tennesseeans since Davy kilt a bar when he was only 3?

Coal or charcoal is WAY less expensive than oxy acet though you'll want the torch for closely localized heats. I'm mostly a propane forge guy though solid fuels have serious benefits, they all have their up and down sides.

What do you want to make?

Frosty The Lucky.

10 hours ago, SpankySmith said:

Where in East Tennessee?  I went to college in Jefferson City, so you're in that vicinity somewhere?

I'm in the northeast corner in Elizabethton. The closest city that folks from out of state may recognize is Bristol because of the Nascar Speedway. 

18 hours ago, Frosty said:

Coal or charcoal is WAY less expensive than oxy acet though you'll want the torch for closely localized heats. I'm mostly a propane forge guy though solid fuels have serious benefits, they all have their up and down sides.

What do you want to make?

I'm using oxy/acet because I have it. Just bending mild steel plate and bars for maintenance projects but I'm wanting to make some wall hanging decorations, a couple knives and later possibly graduate to making a gate for the backyard. I'm hoping to meet up with some local guys and try out their forges before I invest in making the decision between solid fuel and gas.

Ayup, that's what oxy acet is for. I run an All States oxy propane rig. The only thing oxy acet does oxy prop isn't worth spit doing is gas welding, it brazes beautifully, cuts WAY better than an acet torch and heats much better too. Best of all it costs about 2% as much to operate. I don't light my torch up often but when I need it, nothing else will do. 

Whatever type forge or fuel you decide to try be forewarned you'll be building another once you get the hang of things and learn what you really need. ;)

Frosty The Lucky.