I Forge Iron

Christmas items 2018

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not exactly sure how to take this, as it is my first Blacksmith Christmas. I'm not sure if I was "Naughty or Nice," but either way I did not receive any Coal for Christmas! It was all I asked for. :( Although I'm feeling a little disappointed, Santa did leave me a box of Oatmeal Cream Pies and a Butcher Block Brush in my stocking. :)

I am afraid I have to tell you that you are all on Santa's Double Secret Naughty List which was set up to make sure Santa did not give coal to Naughty Blacksmiths!

SantaNaughty1.jpg.d979f02f2ee0352b767a7aab026e6ca6.jpg

I spent several hours on the factory floor getting selfies taken with me---smiling and offering coal to people. Which I had to explain a lot  as evidently coal for naughty kids is not part of the tradition in Mexico.

Well, I would have thought leaving a nice slice of med rare prime rib, local craft brew, and a generous slice of home made Pecan Pie by the fireplace that maybe i would have seen a 40 lb. bag of lump charcoal? No dice. What did you try Das?

Thanks for the Intel Santa Powers.

I could walk along the river with a few buckets and fill them up.  

Funny enough there is a little seam of coal under a rock along our road right behind my shop that my cousin and I used to dig at when we were little. I haven't dug at it in my adult life or tried any of it.

Assembled/fabricated a brass spool holder for my spouse's sewing machine. No blacksmithing, just some basic shop skills and time with polish and rags. Designed to hold the over-sized spools of specialty threads she likes to use. Made from odds and sods brass bits I've accumulated over the past decade or so. I also glued a piece of cork gasket sheet on the bottom to protect the table top.

Picture on the wood table top has a Canadian one dollar (loonie) coin for scale; the other has the holder at the sewing table sitting on a cutting mat with a 1 inch grid. Total weight is just under 3.2 pounds.

Merry Christmas all.

IMG_3165 (600x800).jpg

IMG_3166 (600x800).jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Beautiful gift ideas in this thread- I'll be revisiting this before next year for some ideas :D The window box I especially love, and as soon as my shop is built later this year I'll be stealing the idea!

Not to hijack the thread but..... did anyone RECEIVE any good shop-related gifts this year?

My wife got me a voucher for full day's Blacksmithing tuition at a local forge :) Super happy.

8 minutes ago, Jon Kerr said:

The window box I especially love, and as soon as my shop is built later this year I'll be stealing the idea!

If you want further details just ask. The hanging design was to keep the planter away from the window trim so as not to create a moisture trap. Or previous box contributed to some rot.