I Forge Iron

Should I buy this old anvil?

I found an ad for a used anvil for $150 which has damage but also weighs 140 pounds. I don't see a manufacturer's name and the seller does not know the name either. I am new to blacksmithing and I have been trying to find a decent, affordable anvil to start with. I want to use it for working with rebar. Any thoughts or feedback on whether I should buy or pass on this anvil would be greatly appreciated.

00Y0Y_5JrVmN3jH37_1200x900.jpg

00808_3OdLIQ1uTd8_1200x900.jpg

00Q0Q_4QX3XXe8aBc_1200x900.jpg

The answer may differ depending on which of the 150+ countries that participate here on the World Wide Web you are in.

Also what do you include in "working rebar"  Cold work, hot work, forging items from it(not suggested).

As such it shows a lot of face thickness left. If you plan to do cold work it would be a good anvil to abuse at a decent price for the area I live in for your area???????

I'd guess a Peter Wright. Check the side for a weight stamp and see if it's in CWT.

Looks like a beat-up Peter Wright. Usable for most things (except hardy tools). What's the attraction with rebar? If you are new to blacksmithing it may not be the best stock to build your confidence.

And do you want us to play detective to determine your location? The milk crate suggests New Jersey, right?

I once spent a summer posting from Germany, (installation business trip), while my account was my OSU, (THE Ohio State University), student account---I wasn't even on the same continent as where I "appeared" to be.

(Some may remember: "On the internet nobody knows you are a dog")

Woof Woof!

Anyways, Id really check that beast out closely, and personally I’d be hesitant to pay $150 for it.

Looks to have been used hard for most it’s life (but not necessarily abused tho).  The sweet spot is saddled and the tail is recurved down, besides the chunk of face that delaminated and broke off from the hardy hole to the heel.  Maybe lots of sledge work done on it.

However the edges are relatively intact, as if for most its life whomever used it knew what they were doing, or at least had  good aim.

17 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

Weak correlation: I have milk crates saying Ohio and Arkansas and am a long day's drive on the Interstate to get to the closer one.

Yeah, but he's not going to tell us, is he? So we have to guess!