I Forge Iron

What is it ????

GrumpyBiker

Okay I’m quite sure someone on here probably has one but I actually do not know for sure what I have here, specifically.

In general I get it but I’m interested in knowing, with a link & or photo , what it is specifically as I’d kinda like to get the rest of it . If it is what I think it is.

Seriously, I’d love to know but consider me to be from Missouri , though I’m not, & show me! 

I found this this at a junk store and bought it.  

What is it?

1/2 of a bar clamp? If so I can’t find any pics or conformation.

From the color it appears to maybe be a Jourgeson product but there are no markings whatsoever.

As a woodworker myself I have lots of their clamps so if it is it’s not new.

The brass & color of the wood crank handle seems to indicate otherwise.

B5146F60-0209-4839-B2E3-C7ADF48E0739.jpeg

9113E788-52EC-491F-A45D-43F4CAD86330.jpeg

BD29DD23-885E-4B16-B777-6D6F476CB530.jpeg

C8E199AA-1D91-4D70-9005-7F02A63E96C3.jpeg

Old school version of a "pipe clamp".  One side clamps to a 2 x 4 as your backbone.  You can go as long as you can find a 2 x 4 so there are times when such a thing is quite handy.  I have used mine at about 12 feet to pull big stuff into square along the diagonal and hold it...but not much else as I only have one and regular pipe clamps are used more commonly for the work I do that needs a long clamp.

Usually there is a second end...basically a stop without the screw clamp on it but those get lost over time.  You could also just nail a stop-end made of wood on the 2 x 4.

You got me thinking...I haven't seen mine around here for a while so I better dig around and see where it went.

Looks a lot like a flooring clamp to me. The smaller screw tightens onto the joist and the larger one compresses the board to be nailed against the previous one. Usually used in pairs (or more) to keep the floorboards straight.