I Forge Iron

first forged item and other forged items!!

Not bad for first attempts but you'll do yourself more good in the long run (that means learning to do what you want) by learning and mastering the basics first.

The counter top isn't a bad backdrop but you're having trouble focusing because the colors are so similar. Or maybe you're a little too shaky for the light level.

Anyway, if you raise your pieces a few inches off the background it'll let you focus on the item while keeping the background out of focus. It will make your work stand out much better.

Iron also looks good against a med to light green background. Mottled like the counter top is helpful because it'll become more neutral to the subject when out of focus.

Good photographs are essential to your work and it's well worth taking a photography class or two.

Frosty

Not bad for first attempts but you'll do yourself more good in the long run (that means learning to do what you want) by learning and mastering the basics first.

The counter top isn't a bad backdrop but you're having trouble focusing because the colors are so similar. Or maybe you're a little too shaky for the light level.

Anyway, if you raise your pieces a few inches off the background it'll let you focus on the item while keeping the background out of focus. It will make your work stand out much better.

Iron also looks good against a med to light green background. Mottled like the counter top is helpful because it'll become more neutral to the subject when out of focus.

Good photographs are essential to your work and it's well worth taking a photography class or two.

Frosty

I `ll have to try that next time frosty , I have trouble taking pictures of iron work my self LOL!

You are off to a good start. The best thing to me is the next time you forge one of the same items it will keep getting better. Repetition makes you improve tremendously, at the same time you will be developing hammer control and everything gets easier.
Just keep on forging.

Photographing shiny metal is one of the hardest things to do well there is. In the picture snapping world anyway. There are all kinds of tricks, some more versatile than others.

I draw from portraiture as it too wants the subject to stand out from the background.

Keeping the two physically separate is one of the easiest and most effective methods. Also standing back and using the zoom is another way to make the depth of field (focal depth) more shallow so the subject and background are distinct.

An easy way to reduce unwanted highlights on polished metal is to tape a single ply piece of TP over the flash. Aiming the flash at the wall or ceiling is also a good method.

Frosty