17 hours ago, GrumpyBiker said:

It’s both a success & a failure.

I'd consider that more of a success than a failure.  I like the effect and the finish you put on the surface looks good to me.   I'm looking forward to what you do next.

That should work Grumpy, I don't recall the brand but I picked up a similar resin for table / counter, etc. tops to stabilize wood for knife handles at Home Depot. It set with little change in color to the wood. Once I sanded it it didn't even look wet and will need something else to shine it up when I finish.

I agree with Buzz, that's more success than failure. I like the effect you got with the Scotch brite, I wouldn't have thought of it. A couple folks on the old Artmetal email list were making sheet micarta and paper from dryer lint. They controlled color by separating what they dried. IIRC they were making shades for some seriously artistic custom lamps.  

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty- 

I ordered it & will try again with the blue Scotch Brite pad next week.

thanks for the direction & advice.

Buzz- 

I just glued up a handle of layered Micarta but it’s not on a G-rated opener so perhaps I can edit the photo in this manor.....

;)

05CFF941-0595-4ABF-88BC-BB10CE60F3BD.jpeg

F37EC7ED-E240-4069-A5FD-4BB9DF1F6FA5.jpeg

My first attempt at layered Micarta.

Not really what I was hoping for.

once the clear casting resin arrives I’ll make some more and hope the layers will be more visible.

In the end even though it’s not as visually interesting as I’d hoped it is a nice material. Just learning the speed at which the resin starts to melt & staying under that was tricky as each tool was different.

For those who’ve worked with it is there a proper way to finish it once it’s shaped?

Do you oil it, polish it , seal it ?

75504CD6-B8F8-4C9D-B3E7-EEBD398D1EBA.jpeg

433F3DEB-E4F4-466C-889C-E50B6B2AE695.jpeg

D0426989-B56B-47F0-8A39-90F764A3089C.jpeg

1E2997F9-ECD4-405A-9B0F-0F088A0B0E16.jpeg

4061D0E7-443F-489A-BD8F-374CA7416345.jpeg

2A3BA743-8B99-4767-AFBA-CAF672B5A18B.jpeg

On 11/4/2018 at 1:34 PM, GrumpyBiker said:

For those who’ve worked with it is there a proper way to finish it once it’s shaped?

Just sand it until you're happy with the finish.   It's already sealed.  The stuff is impervious to water so there's no need to wax, oil, or otherwise coat it.  If you feel you need to put a really high finish on it just don't stay on the buffer for long.  Mine isn't variable speed so I just limit it to short sessions.   Any more I don't take it past about 1000 grit finish and just wipe it down with a wet paper towel to clean it.

Very light touch on the buffer as you do NOT want to heat up the surface!

The clear resin arrived & I got it in the mold yesterday.

The setup time is longer.

It popped out of the mold after tapping on the sides with a rubber mallet.

BD8CDC13-EC7C-49FA-B609-A09E7AA94DF3.jpeg