I Forge Iron

Say Mak Power hammer on casters?

I picked up a Say Mak 110# that weighs about 2400 pounds total. I have very limited shop space so it will need to be mobile to move around for different projects. The casters I've been looking at have a leveling system that brings them up off the wheels and locks them into place. My question is have you seen hammers as big as these on wheels and do you think the hammering would be too much for the leveling rods to take? I couldn't paste a link to the type of caster but you can google workbench locking feet. I think I can get them rated for more weight. Thanks for any help.

v

Say Mak 2.jpg

Greetings Voodoo,

A simple solution is to move your hammer with a pallet jack . An angle iron on each end with screw jacks will lower it to the ground and pick it back up for the pallet jack to slide under. Large caster wheels only have a small surface area to set on.  Just this ol boys solution .. 

Forge on and make beautiful things 

Jim

Greetings Voodoo,

The wheels will stick out and would be a trip hazard. The pallet jack would be easier to move and position the hammer. You could also use a simple floor jack on the angle iron than a block shim so the pallet jack would slide under the hammer. Or if you could find a pallet jack wide enough it could slide under the angle iron. 

Forge on and make beautiful things 

Jim