I Forge Iron

Wilkinson’s queen Dudley

2011dooms

Looking to find out more information about Wilkinson’s queen Dudley anvils I just bought one that weighs 290kg on its base so I guess it’s 250kg on its own it’s wrought iron and in bad shape but will be getting a clean up was pulled out of an abandoned mine some 30 years ago looking forward to putting it back into use C18CDD05-DBD4-4631-B013-EEF51E38B069.thumb.jpeg.fdaf1f1a4e84c6b1855509f89f4cf7ea.jpegC96D887E-991F-4DBF-9A65-1381F466149B.thumb.jpeg.bb49449ea0599df7c67a30b8d3710cd0.jpeg

Welcome aboard, glad to have you. Have a name, "2011dooms" is pretty awkward. Putting your general location in the header is a good idea, you might be surprised how many members live within visiting distance. You'll learn more in a couple hours with an experienced smith than days or even weeks trying to figure it out yourself.

The anvil looks to have had some heavy work done on her but she's in pretty good shape. A twisted wire cup brush in a disk grinder will clean up the body nicely. HOT steel and a hammer will put a healthy shine on her face and smooth it nicely, just stay away from the edges that look chipped. Please NO GRINDING!! Any steel you remove from the face is years maybe decades of useful life gone and it's a major job replacing it. 

In short, that old lady has generations of useful life in her as she sits. 

Frosty The Lucky.