I Forge Iron

Riveted Fireplace Screen Doors

jeremy k

Really nice screen set! 

I had asked you this before, but I guess you missed it: What woven wire mesh size are you using, and do you have a preferred source for your woven wire? I'm planning to make a few fireplace screens in the near future.

Al (Steamboat)

Al - if I recall the mesh I used is #6? Most fire places have a lot smaller mesh size( more wires per inch ) this one is exceptionally bigger, hence the beefier mesh I used.

Can't recall the supplier off hand, somewhere on the east coast I know. I don't buy mesh very often, so ever time I need to search for a supplier. 

Thanks, Jeremy. I'm trying to decide on the best compromise between the appearance of the mesh itself, its relative rigidity, and the visibility of the fire through the mesh. I do like the looks of the mesh you used. I have four (and eventually five) screens to make for our old-house project, so I think it might be worth ordering a sample set of meshes and do a side-by-side comparison.

Al (Steamboat)