I Forge Iron

T Line hook up size

qazzarelli

Quick question. I am switching out my fuel lines and regulator with an acetylene/propane T line and regulator. My other line hooked up to a flanged 3/8" shut off valve and the regulator is a 0-30 with no gauge just a dial for the flow. I want to use the "T" line rated for propane and acetylene and the regulator with it because it has a guage and will hook up to bigger tanks but...the fitting is slightly different and will not screw on to the shut off valve i have already running to the forge. What darn size is the acetylene/propane fuel line hook up? I am going to the hardware store tomorrow but thought maybe this is common and sometimes you ask the folks and they look at you lile you have 2 heads when you say you are Frankensteining. Or nothing fits they have in stock and in case i have to order a fitting. I am running propanethrough it by the way. Not trying to run acetylene in my forge.

Good Morning,

Fuel line fittings are ALWAYS left hand thread (Acetylene and Propane). You can tell the difference because the left hand thread fittings have a small groove around them. The reason they use left hand thread is so it is impossible to mix up fuel and oxygen. Even so, I'm sure there are smart people out there that can mix them up. You can buy the fittings at a welding store or a good/busy hydraulic fitting store. A local hardware store will not have the left hand fittings.

Neil

Yes, it's been done but not recommended. Propane and acetylene fittings are different for a reason, it's not a good thing to mix fuel gasses. Propane is very chemically active and tends to degrade rubbers not made to resist and once you've fed propane through the regulator you do NOT want to hook it up to acetylene again. You'll probably need to go to a welding supply but it's not a hard conversion.

Frosty The Lucky.

Looks like a B fitting 9/16-18 LH for the fuel line.  Doesn't matter if it is a Acetylene regulator or a Propane one.  Mine is listed for both Acetylene and LP (propane).

My Victor set has T hose for all fuels and I'm pretty sure the kit is good for Acetylene or propane with a switch of just the tips.

There has to be an easy way to convert.

B LH to 1/4" NPT

Radnor 64003910 (bulk part number)

Radnor 64003998  (2-pack number)

My guess is these fittings to NPT is what is in the regulator to hook up the hose (I looked at mine and the hose fitting is RH thread into the regulator)

Western #33 (WES33, WES #33) looks to be the same 1/4" NPT

McMaster 1/8" NPT 79215A712 https://www.mcmaster.com/79215a712

McMaster 1/4" NPT  79215A2   https://www.mcmaster.com/#79215A2

Zoellerforge has a Type I propane hose from the B fitting to 1/4" NPT http://zoellerforge.com/forgeparts.html

Hope this helps!