I Forge Iron

Forging equipment and tools

New to Smithing, and new to the Forum. I've been interested in Smithing for a few years, now my kids, 10 and 12, have gotten bit by the bug.

I've managed over the last few years to accumulate almost all of my tools at Auction sales. I'm an Auctioneer part time, so I'm at a sale almost every weekend in the summer. With the exception of anvils, most tools can be acquired at totally reasonable prices. For example: I bought a portable forge (ferriers forge) for $15, a leg vise for $10, post type drill press for $10, several sections of RR tracks to hammer on for $8.50 (total for 3 pieces at different sales), Edwards #5 Shear for $55, old pedal style grinder wheel totally functional for $35, a whole milk crate full of about 20 pairs of end nippers which will be turned into tongs for $15. All of this stuff works like new, just needed a little wd40 and some love. 

Another tip is to let everyone in your network know that you are looking for these types of tools. That's how I stumbled upon my anvil. $175 for a 235# Hay- Budden. Please don't call the cops! A guy knew a guy that knew a guy, who was cleaning out his farm and moving to the nursing home. 

My blower is being borrowed from a friend of mine who now lives in an apartment and had no place to keep it.

Another tip; don't buy the first one you come across, and don't get discouraged. I have watched some things get ridiculous at auction sales, usually when family members get involved. Leg vises go for $200 because 2 brothers want it.

I have passed on a lot of tools because the price gets higher than what I want to pay. Sometimes the right people don't show up and you can get a good deal. Or people don't know what something is, such was the case for my Edwards #5 shear. I was bidding against a scrap buyer. He didn't know what it was, just that it was metal and heavy. It was only worth $50 to him, so I got it for $55, and I see they are asking up to $600 online. 

They post drill too. About 10 people asked me after the sale what a post drill is? I explained how these were the first drill presses used. About 10 minutes to mount, and 4 shots of WD-40 later, I am drilling holes in metal.

So like Smithing, be patient. Plan your work, and work your plan. Auctions are a great place to buy tools, and you may find them in the least likely of situations. Hopefully, there aren't too many people interested in the same thing as you that day.

Glenn II

Welcome to the forum Glenn II, the link Steve gave you will help navigating the idiosyncrasies of the forum. Editing your profile to show your location will make answering a lot of questions that are dependent on where in the world you are located easier. Your first post is spot on.

1 hour ago, Glenn II said:

So like Smithing, be patient. Plan your work, and work your plan.

Note that they were not the first type of drill press used. A simple brace type drill with a beam on the top to add pressure would be the first type. (Practical Blacksmithing, Richardson has an example like that for use with the old diamond shaped drill bits as late as the late 19th century.)