caotropheus

1500 year old sword found at the bottom of a lake in Sweden

I can’t help but imagine the events that lead up to that sword sitting at the bottom of the lake.  Great story and I, too, can’t wait to hear more.  Sadly, this sort of study is usually painfully slow.

I'm just wondering when the young lady found the sword, whether or not her arm was clad in the purest shimmering samite.

4 hours ago, JHCC said:

I'm just wondering when the young lady found the sword, whether or not her arm was clad in the purest shimmering samite.

Not today John,

Wait a week.

The family recently moved to Sweden from the United States.

Hey,  she may still not be a Swedish citizen yet.

Just sayyin'.

SLAG.

Dr. Lou L  

I,  (the SLAG),  am looking forward to the results of the metallurgical study of said sword

8 hours ago, JHCC said:

Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government......

I always wondered where I lost that thing. Had it the last time I left the tardis… on holiday, looking for an out of the way place/time to do a bit of hunting and gathering.

Have you read "The Celtic Sword" b y Radomir Pleiner or "The Sword and the Crucible" by Alan Williams or "The Metallography of Early Ferrous Edge Tools and Edged Weapons" Tylecote & Gilmour ???

21 hours ago, Buzzkill said:

Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government......

yet possibly no less arbitrary than some of the questionable systems currently in use?

Time to take a metal detector to the lake. Who knows what else can turn up.