I Forge Iron

Quick newbie question

About to start doing some small billet pattern welding (hand hammered) with 1084 and 15n20 steel, or should I use some other high carbon instead of 1084 which I have in stock. Will be making some knives, nothing too fancy.

I've never welded so what is the proper type of welding tool to get to secure the stack and to put on a rebar handle? Thanks in advance. 

1084 and 15N20 is a good combination for contrast that should weld well IF you do proper preparations on the pieces of the stack.   If you have access to pretty much any kind of welder that is powerful enough to securely weld the rebar to the the end of the stack that should be all you need.  I clamp the stack in a vise and run a welding bead down both sides of the stack close to the end where the rebar would be attached.   If the stock is really thin you are probably better off tying the other end tightly with wire than welding.  If the pieces in your stack are an eighth of an inch or thicker you can probably get away with welding another bead down each side near the opposite end from the rebar.  Thin pieces will allow the outer layers to heat more rapidly which tends to warp the outer layers which then creates gaps between the pieces of stock.

I'm not sure if you meant you've never forge welded before or used an electric welder before.  If you've done neither then you might want to practice electric welding some scrap pieces together and welding rebar to that before you attempt your stack for a pattern welded billet.  MIG or stick welding works fine.  Be prepared to have to reinforce or re-weld the rebar a few times though.  The high heat coupled with thinning the stack as you work tends to create a weak spot right where the stack is welded to the rebar.

Used "tombstone" style AC stick welders are relatively inexpensive and have enough power to do the job - if you have a 220v circuit for them.  The cheap HF 110v flux core mig welders really don't have enough power to get good penetration for welding the rebar to the stack IMO.  However, I'm just a hobby welder, so some of the welding pros on here might be able to give you a better suggestion for a welder that will fit the bill.

Welcome aboard, glad to have you Jon. You don't need to tack weld the billet, you can wrap it in unplated steel wire the old timey way. Concrete rebar wire is a good choice though baling or mechanic's wire work fine too. NO PLATED WIRE!

Make up a couple practice billets from mild steel. It's a little harder to get a good weld with  mild than higher carbon steel so it's good practice. Be aware though that when you switch to high carbon steels they melt and burn at a lower temp so be ready for the wet look and go for it.

That's a fine choice of steels for a high contrast blade billet, it'll look a treat.

Frosty The Lucky.