I Forge Iron

Stainless Damascus steel choice

Jclonts82

I have never made stainless damascus, but a friend wants me to try it and make him a kitchen knife with it. I have researched the process quite a bit, I think I am solid on my knowledge in that front, (knowledge, not practical experience... yet...)  but what I cannot find are typical steel choices used.

I have seen some referenced and I don't know/am not entirely familiar with them. Or where to get them easily in the US. Most of what I buy is from NJ baron.

Examples I have found:  in 'Damasteel's' data sheet they use  "RWL34" and "PMC27" Others I have found use "19C27 Swedish Stainless and 302 Stainless, with a D2 core".  I'm not terribly familiar with any of those except 302 and D2... the RWL and PMC are trademarked, you can buy the steels separately, but they are VERY pricey.   What I am looking for is what combos produce a great contrast, and are both hardenable steels, and somewhat easily obtained? (its not asking much is it??? lol)  As far as I know that 302 is NOT  hardenable, only 0.15 Carbon, and that is probably what the D2 core is for. I'm looking for something that is not going to need a core, and is all considered stainless, or at least fairly close to it ( like D2). 

I have seen plenty of examples where stainless is mixed with plain 'high carbon' or O1, 5160, etc... but not considered stainless. 

If buying solo from NJ, would any of these have great contrast when welded?  154-CM, 416, 440-C, AEB-L, D2, S30V, S35-VN? 

I appreciate any knowledge/insights/options y'all might have.

Thank you

the contrast is because of differential etching,  why not try D2 and 440C  Some mixes are not as easy as others plus you have the different expansion rates on heating and cooling to worry about, Diving in on blade quality stainless is not a great way to start. good luck