I Forge Iron

It’s Finally Burning - a first build story (photo heavy)

Daguy

Well I've burned it long enough that I think the Calcite has burned out.  Here's a couple links to videos of it burning last night.. Let me ask:  How's my (Dragon's) Breath?

My Dragon's Breath at 1 PSI

My Dragon's Breath at 20 PSI

Sorry about the focus, but you'll get the idea.  After all, I was filming with a phone.

On 10/4/2018 at 4:19 AM, Daguy said:

the English language.

I know this was covered already but "fora" is Latin and except for my etiological nudge my only exposure to Latin and Greek are from Paleontology books. 

On 10/4/2018 at 4:28 AM, JHCC said:

is an affectation

An affectation John? Is that what you call using words with more than two syllables on a blacksmithing forum? It's good to know the real thing though, sure beats being misinforumed. 

On 10/4/2018 at 12:50 PM, ThomasPowers said:

careful I got moderated once when I mad a typo posting something similar!

Think that's moderation Thomas? Try being moderated by a birch. . . No, don't do that, just take my word for it instead. 

The forge looks good, 1 psi has little dragon's breath and 20 psi isn't blowing 3' out the doors. Is the video slowed down? There seems to be a louder faster beginning and ending couple seconds.

Frosty The Lucky.

4 hours ago, Frosty said:

Is the video slowed down? There seems to be a louder faster beginning and ending couple seconds.

Yes, I thought using the slo-mo feature on my phone would give a better idea of what is happening. 

Part of what's happening is how fast the flames are leaving the forge, distance and speed are what we're looking for. If a video is distorted a couple stills are usually as good. I would've been pretty excited thinking flames that slow were coming from a 3/4" T.

Not griping it still looks darned good, I just wanted a little clarification.

What you really need Thomas are enough brains you can afford to lose some. I have the scars to prove it.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Can't believe it's been over two years since I built this forge, or since I've posted on it.  Time flies and drags in the time of Covid!

A cool thing happened last week. My employer bought a very expensive FLIR camera and decided I was the guy to train on it.  Couldn't resist the opportunity to share some pics. These were taken at 20PSI.

Frosty, since this was my first build, I can't believe it turned out optimized.  in your experience, how much more than 2113F can one reallistically tune a 20 Lb propane tank homebuilt forge heated by a 20 (Crayon sized) hole NARB to reach?

FLIR0030.jpg

FLIR0027.jpg

FLIR0037.jpg

Wicked cool pics!  I have no idea where you forge will top out. A ribbon burner make more even temps through the whole forge where a single outlet burner makes a HOT spot and the heat disperses. My NARB forge gets plenty hot to weld in but the hot spot in my T burner shop forge melted the hard split fire brick directly under the burner. Same umber and size T inducers in the about same volume of forge chamber. 

I'm thinking if you close the ends up just shy of where it inhibits the burner you'll get a couple few hundred more degrees. Ribbon burners make much slower velocity flames so they hang in the chamber longer for higher energy transfer. 

Nice of the Boss to make you learn to use that thing. Have the other smiths in your area found out?

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty (and everyone else),

Thanks for the reply. When I blocked the ends of the chamber and the NARB was runnining full tilt, It would occasionally spit and sputter, and the flame sometimes sucked back up into the tee. But only at higher propane pressures, and only after the head had heated up. 

This confuses me.  Higher pressures would indicate that the flame was being "blown out", but the fact that the flame wants to travel back up the gas train would indicate that the gas is not being blown hard enough to be beyond the orifi (orifices?) before ignition after the ribbon attains full heat. 

Math hurts my head, and that's why I'm running my "Hillbilly Logic" by the forum. I have to think that it's because after the ribbon heats up it can ignite the propane in the mixing chamber before it passes through the orifi because there's not enough air pushing it through the ribbon.

It seems to me I should retract the gas jet enough to introduce a greater air:gas ratio into the mix.  Does that make sense to you Math Ninjas?

Edited by Mod30
Remove excessive quote.

Forget the pressure, you guys are obsessing over PSI and as your experience is showing you PSI IS NOT the issue. 

What keeps the burner block cool enough to not burn back is FLOW, not psi. Pressure only effects flow to a small degree. There are two potential reasons they're burning back. #1 and most probably, you've blocked the openings too much. OR #2 your blocks need more nozzles to increase the flow. Without enough passageway increasing psi increases back pressure on the inducer and DECREASES flow. Exactly the OPPOSITE of what you need!

When this started happening did you try opening the door baffles some? Remember, make a change, observe the effects and adjust accordingly. 

Frosty The Lucky.

• 8 months later...